Text Size

Memory

Toss-up which to buy??? Suggestions...

SDRAM, DDR, DDR II, and more memory types.

Toss-up which to buy??? Suggestions...

Postby slash » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:26 pm

I am just a little tired of my HD crunching away with just 2gb of crucial ballistics on a Vista32 system,8600gts oc.

My system is an MSI 7250 sli platinum, FX62cpu 2.8, a couple of Seagate 250gig drives, audigy2. Curently not over-clocking.

I have never owned either of these brands before, a bit curious as to how they might perform.

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC24G6400LLK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220269

G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231209

Would anyone know if either of these sticks have micron chips on them???

I made my decision on the G.Skill kit as they offer the lower voltages 1.8-1.9, these also offer a good chance of being Micron chips on a 6 layer pcb which would suit me just fine! Fingers crossed! :D
slash
K7 Athlon XP (Palomino) Junior Boarder

Re: Toss-up which to buy??? Suggestions...

Postby AussieFX » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:25 am

I doubt that they will be Micron. Not at 800mhz.
Micron is reserved for 1000mhz+ these days.
You should have got another 2gb of Crucial for that. Team use a lot of Micron to in their 1066 range.
Corsair,OCZ mostly use Elpida these days and that's probably what you will get.
Sent from my flippy phone thingy using TAPATALK HD_2016.1

Nikon D7000 / Nikon D5000
AussieFX
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator

Postby slash » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:57 pm

AussieFX wrote:I doubt that they will be Micron. Not at 800mhz.
Micron is reserved for 1000mhz+ these days.
You should have got another 2gb of Crucial for that. Team use a lot of Micron to in their 1066 range.
Corsair,OCZ mostly use Elpida these days and that's probably what you will get.

Elpida are made in Japan and really should work just fine. Not a bad chip at all! I had a 3200 kit of Corsairs on my last build and they were fine. I don't know which chips were on that kit. I can remember they would not over-clock at all.

Note the Crucial sticks stock @ 400mhz(ddr2-800) timings @ 5,5,5,18 or @ 333mhz 4,5,5,15 @ 1.8v.
I do have them running @ 4,4,4,16 with a voltage setting of 1.9v. Buying an additional 2 sticks I am not sure I could match them ecactly. You just never know what a manufacturer might change as prices keep changing on a daily basis and the timings may not be exactly matched.

I thought that I would be better off with a new set of sticks that are matched with great timings so I could eliminate any hassles after installing them. I will do a memtest on them asap just to see how they handle those settings and to be sure the sticks are in good working order.

Here is a list that may help others with making a decision on memory purchases.

http://ramlist.i4memory.com/

Here is also a very imformative tool about everything computer from hardware, software and much much more.

http://www.gtopala.com/
slash

Even Crucial isn't necessarily Micron any more

Postby Boundless » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:20 pm

AussieFX: > I doubt that they will be Micron. Not at 800mhz.
> Micron is reserved for 1000mhz+ these days.

Data point on that:
The stock Crucial PC6400 DDR2 I just got
for my current X3 build has Hynix chips.
________
If Crucial isn't using Micron at 800, odds are no one is.
Boundless
K8 Athlon 64 (Orleans) Expert Boarder

Re: Even Crucial isn't necessarily Micron any more

Postby slash » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:08 pm

Boundless wrote:AussieFX: > I doubt that they will be Micron. Not at 800mhz.
> Micron is reserved for 1000mhz+ these days.

Data point on that:
The stock Crucial PC6400 DDR2 I just got
for my current X3 build has Hynix chips.
________
If Crucial isn't using Micron at 800, odds are no one is.

Is it true that Crucial is the outlet for Micron? If thats so, then I guess I would have to agree with you.
I will try to take the heat sink off and get a look to see what they are because now I really would like to know!

Which of the following IC chip manufacturer's is making the best chip available?

Elpida
Hynix
Samsung
Aeneon
ProMOS
Micron
Nanya
Infineon
Powerchip
Qimonda
slash

Re: Even Crucial isn't necessarily Micron any more

Postby Boundless » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:53 pm

slash> ... Which of the following IC chip ...
> Infineon ... Qimonda

FYI, Qimonda is (or was) Infineon's RAM works,
_______
and may soon be Micron's.
Boundless

Postby skrubol » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:49 pm

slash wrote:I am just a little tired of my HD crunching away with just 2gb of crucial ballistics on a Vista32 system,8600gts oc.

If it's just the crunching you're trying to get rid of, disable indexing and superfetch. Indexing is the Windows search service (it won't disable search, just make it slower,) and I think superfetch is superfetch (setting both to manual worked for me.) I've got 8 gigs in my new system and was really surprised by how much the hard drive seeked shortly after bootup, but it was because Vista tries to prefetch more, the more RAM you have. When I disabled those 2 services, the drive was silent after the next boot.
skrubol
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester) Elite Boarder

Postby slash » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:08 pm

I have gone even further then that. I have my machine turn on an hour before I get home so that it can index and check for all the updates and finish that before I get on it. Works fine for a little while untill I have all these windows open ect ect... load BF2 and wait for several minutes to load a map.

The drive seems to be working hard all the time as if the transfer rate is lower. I would actually say that this has been going like this from the start of having Vista installed. I know about all of the indexing and many other activities Vista has going on as I control all of them when to run and when not to run. Vista alone takes a whopping 700+ megs of ram just to operate. BF2 wants 1+gigs to run.

I also find that many of the games now take a gig and more of ram and with many other windows open such as multiple internet explorer windows open and media player playing in the backgound, email open, the hard drive just sometimes grinds for a few minutes and I cannot do anything.

I think that having more memory will minimize the virtual memory writes as long as I don't leave too much more open when I play a game.
slash

Postby skrubol » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:37 pm

Also, you're aware that by default Vista 32 bit can only address 3GB of RAM (I believe that's the number carried over from XP,) right? I think there are tweaks that can bring that up to 3.25 or 3.5, but never 4.
skrubol

Return to Memory