Text Size

Memory

3gb vs 2gb dual channel

SDRAM, DDR, DDR II, and more memory types.

3gb vs 2gb dual channel

Postby firephoenix » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi, i think i've only posted once bt i read a lot around (dont post bcuz i dont know that much :P). I've got a question, what's better: 3gb ddr2 vs 2gb ddr2 in dual channel?
Thing is my mobo has 4 memory slots and i have 4 512mb ddr2 corsair memory and i also have 1 gskill 2gb memory, so, thing is that i want to use this thing mainly for games and stuff, maybe some small video editing and graphics stuff, nothing serious though, so i can install 2 512mb ddr2 + the 2gb ddr2, or 4x512mb in dual channel.
What's going to be best for me?
firephoenix

Re: 3gb vs 2gb dual channel

Postby abinstein » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:08 pm

I would go with 3GB. The effect of single to dual channel is pretty small and it almost does not affect games at all.
Anandtech -- a site which every visit makes me regret my time spent! It is a living testimony of Einstein's quote:"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
abinstein
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator

Postby firephoenix » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Thanks for the answer so quick :D
firephoenix

Postby abinstein » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:46 am

You're very welcome. :)

Maybe you can also try both. :)
If there's no noticeable difference running a few programs, then 3GB would be preferrable, say, some day you want to run a virtual machine. :)
Anandtech -- a site which every visit makes me regret my time spent! It is a living testimony of Einstein's quote:"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
abinstein

Return to Memory