Text Size

Abit

AX8 misbehaving

AX8 misbehaving

Postby rybot » Fri May 12, 2006 3:14 am

Not sure if this will get a response, but, here goes! Once again, the abit forums yield no helpfull information. I just switched from an AV8 to an AX8, because my friend didn't want it, and he was also giving me his X800XL(HIS ati silencer!). Anywho, the only major difference between the boards, aside from 1 fewer fan header, is the chipset. It supports 4 sata's as opposed to 1, has 3 ide plugs, yadda yadda. The install went fine. Booted first try.

I've encountered two issues. The first being more annoying than anything else. In the bios, there are two IDE controllers, both are enabled. I've installed the via chipset drivers, the newest, and even the older ones on abit's site, but neither pack seems to have drivers for these IDE controllers. The system detects a Primary and Secondary controller, but fails to install the drivers for them, even when I point them to the inf file. I've tried to use device manager to update the file, using the "have disk" option, and when I point it to the only INF that it will accept, it gives me this list of controllers:
Via Bus Master IDE Controller - 0571
Via Bus Master IDE Controller -0581
Via Bus Master IDE Controller - 3164
Via Bus Master IDE Controller - 5324
Via Serial ATA Controller - 0591
Via Serial ATA Controller - 3149
Via Serial ATA Controller - 3349
Via Serial ATA Controller - 5287
Via Serial ATA Controller - 5337

Whats odd, is that listed below the two "unknown devices" is a properly installed Via Bus Master IDE Controller - 0571. If i disable the two controllers in device manager, my CD/dvd-roms are not visible in explorer, if I keep them enabled, but improperly installed, the drives work.

The other issue, is that my mic is being strange. When I connect with someone over VOIP, yahoo, xfire, or whatever, any audio that I play on my system is heard by the person I'm talking to. I don't mean that the mic is picking up ambient noise, i mean that if I listen to a song, that song is audible, in full volume, by whoever I'm speaking with. To make sure it wasn't just being extra sensitive, I unplugged ALL speakers/headphones, and the mic, and played a song, and it was heard by the person I was speaking with. Not only that, their voice is repeated, in full volume back to them. It's as if all my audio is outputting to the mic in, but I can also use the mic in as a mic at the same time...

Sorry for the long post, they're odd situations, and require lots of explanation...and I also apologize for any confusion, my articulation isn't the best sometimes.

system specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 3700
Abit AX8 3rd-eye (bios 14)
ATI Radeon X800XL
Arctic cooling ATI silencer 4
1GB Mushkin XP4400 DDR550
36 GB SATA WD Raptor
160 GB Samsung Spinpoint
NEC 3520A
Lite-on 16x DVD player
Lian Li PC-V1000
Enermax Noisetaker 485W
rybot

Re: AX8 misbehaving

Postby The_Ghost » Fri May 12, 2006 3:59 pm

is this a clean fresh install of windows ?
The_Ghost
K10 Opteron (Barcelona) Administrator

Postby rybot » Fri May 12, 2006 4:29 pm

no, it is not, and I understand there are certain issues, but the two boards are extremely similar. I know a fresh install would be best, but that is not an option in my case, at least not until I buy the new hard drives I've been meaning to. I'd like to solve this without a reinstall. The only thing I should have to do is install the chipset drivers. But, that doesn't seem to be enough, as two devices are still showing up as unknown under hard disk controllers.

As far as the mic problem, I think it's fixed
rybot

Postby The_Ghost » Fri May 12, 2006 4:57 pm

you have to go into your device manager and remove the devices that went with the old mother board

how did you fix the mic ?
The_Ghost

Postby rybot » Fri May 12, 2006 5:24 pm

there are no old devices from my old motherboard in device manager. Device manager removes devices that are not physically installed from it's hardware list. If i disable anything in device manager, i remove funcionality from some component in my system.

The mic was odd. I went into sounds and audio devices, to voice, and clicked the volume button for voice recording. Then, I checked only the microphone, and now I don't have the issue any more.
rybot

Postby The_Ghost » Fri May 12, 2006 5:37 pm

seems like that motherboard has a problem with that brand of hard drive

http://www.abit.com.tw/test_report/AX8_Series/

STORAGE TEST

Device List
Vender/Model

PATA HDD 1
SAMSUNG SP1604N (160G)

PATA HDD 2
Seagate ST380011A (80GB)

PATA HDD 3
Maxtor 6Y160L0 (160GB)

PATA HDD 4
WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 (250GB)

SATA HDD 1
Maxtor 6Y200M0 (200G)

SATA HDD 2
SAMSUNG SP1614C (160G)

CD-ROM 1
LITEON LCC-052

CD-ROM 2
ASUS CD-S520/A4

DVD-ROM 1
LITEON LCD-016

DVD-ROM 2
AIGO IDE5232IM

DVD-ROM 3
BENQ 1650P

DVD-ROM 4
AIGO PAT316E

DVD-ROM 5
Pioneer DVR-108BXL

CD-RW 1
PLEXTOR PX-W4824TA

CD-RW 2
PLEXTOR PX-320A
The_Ghost

Postby The_Ghost » Fri May 12, 2006 5:42 pm

there are no old devices from my old motherboard in device manager. Device manager removes devices that are not physically installed from it's hardware list. If i disable anything in device manager, i remove funcionality from some component in my system.

did you try and expand system devices to see if you have double deivces in there ?
The_Ghost

Postby rybot » Fri May 12, 2006 7:49 pm

there are no double devices, and I'm not sure what the other guy means by issues with the hard drives... the problem I'm having is installation of the IDE primary, and secondary controllers. My cd/dvd roms are controlled by these controllers. The hard drives are SATA, and have been working fine, no issues.
rybot

Return to Abit