4x512 Corsair 3200XL Memory
XFX Geforce 7900GT with Zalman VF900-CU
2 x WD Raptors in RAID0
1 x Samsung P120S
Creative Audigy 2
Thermalright XP-120 with Papst 120mm fan @ 1200 rpm
Seasonic SuperTornado 400W (450W peak)
Lian Li PC70 Case modded with Papst 120mm fans

Just bought and build my new computer and I am experiencing a very weird problem with it. The computer is completely stock running Windows XP on the latest bios and drivers.

The problem is that whenever I run any full load stability testing programs (2xPrime 95 large FFTs torture test or SuperPI 32M) the programs can only run 10-15 minutes before the processor temperatures reaches 80C and the programs fail. The idle temperature is about 30C, I am measuring temperatures with both Speedfan and Abit EQ. Bios idle-temperatures and voltages are close to the same as SpeedFan.

I have reseated the processor and XP-120 four times (using arcic silver 5) and the stock 4600+ cooler (the heatpipe one) twice which haven't helped. I've flashed CMOS, reinstalled windows twice, ran the computer with a minimal number of components to ensure it is not the PSU, checked all wires and caps on the motherboard, put fans on the passive PWN cooler, installed all AMD dual core drivers, and checked for shorts. I also ran the latest MemTest 86+ on the ram without any problems.

The temperature issue is very weird in that under full load the processor stabilizes at about 45C for 5-10 minutes and then suddenly ramps up to 70-80C, with both the core and pwn temperature following it. I know the passive mother board cooler and cpu cooler are making contact since they
become too hot to touch at full load. The computer is also completely stable at idle in Windows, no BSODs or freezes.

I also know the XP-120, PSU and memory is not faulty since they come from my old computer which ran an IC7-G with a 3ghz P4 for several years with full stability under max load for several hours.

My idle temperatures according to SpeedFan:
PWN: 36C
System: 35C
CPU: 31C
CPU Core: 31C
Ambient: 30C
Samsung HD: 31C
Raptors: 34C
7900GT: 40C

Stock Vcore (1.35V), 2.7V DDR Ram, all other psu voltages within +- 5% (not affected by full load).
Ram running at DDR400 Dual Channel 2-2-2-7 2T.
Helios

Re: Weird stability/temperature problem with KN8-SLI

Postby The_Ghost » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:07 pm

I also know the XP-120, PSU and memory is not faulty since they come from my old computer which ran an IC7-G with a 3ghz P4 for several years with full stability under max load for several hours.

actually this means not too much , memory needs to be tested with each and every system

try running memtest86

try running with just two sticks of memory instead of four

this looks like more of a problem

The temperature issue is very weird in that under full load the processor stabilizes at about 45C for 5-10 minutes and then suddenly ramps up to 70-80C, with both the core and pwn temperature following it. I know the passive mother board cooler and cpu cooler are making contact since they
become too hot to touch at full load. The computer is also completely stable at idle in Windows, no BSODs or freezes.

does this happen with the case closed up ? how many case fans do you have and what size are they ??which way are the fans blowing the air

it sounds like you have no circulation

welcome to the Zone
The_Ghost
K10 Opteron (Barcelona) Administrator

Postby Helios » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:17 pm

As I wrote in the opening post i have ran several rounds of memtest 86+ tests on the ram with no errors on my new rig.
My chassi has the following fans:
2x80 mm front
2x80 mm back
2x120mm side
1x120 mm top
Problem is the same with either chassi closed up, side panels off, fans at low or full speed.
Helios

Postby The_Ghost » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:28 pm

2x80 mm front
2x80 mm back
2x120mm side
1x120 mm top

which way are these fans blowing ?

whyat size fan do you have on the heatsink ? and is it blowing down
The_Ghost

Postby Helios » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:31 pm

2x80 mm front blowing in
2x80 mm back blowing out
2x120 mm side blowing in
1x120 mm top blowing out

Stock AMD heatsink 80 mm blowing down
XP-120 120 mm blowing down
Helios

Postby The_Ghost » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:41 pm

become too hot to touch at full load.

becoming too hot to touch is saying that there is a problem with the cpu heatsink , it is not getting rid of the heat , either the fan is blowing the wrong way on it , or the heatsink is clogged up with dust

getting too hot to touch is saying that the heatsink is making good contact

if the problem was the air not circulating in the case could cause the same problem , but it is obvious that you should have enough air circulation , that would sound to mean that your heat sink is clogged up
The_Ghost

Postby Helios » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:54 pm

The stock AMD heatsink is brand new and the xp-120 was just cleaned with compressed air.
Helios

Return to Abit