Text Size

Abit

Abit AN8 Ultra Shutdown Problems - Fresh Install - VIDEO!!

Abit AN8 Ultra Shutdown Problems - Fresh Install - VIDEO!!

Postby fcastro » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:06 am

Hi all, ok looking forward to some helpful advise here seeing that I have reached my tech capability trying to fix & diagnose the problem :)

My Specs:
  • ABIT AN8 ULTRA NF4 Motherboard
  • AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
  • Cooling Fan - Zalman 92mm 2 Ball CPU
  • Memory - 4GB Mushkin (x2 991434 - 2GB HP3200 2-3-2)
  • Hard Drive - 1 Seagate Sata 320GB (OS/XP SP2) (Partioned C:(OS) D:(Apps) E:(Media) F:(Media)
  • Hard Drive - 1 Seagate IDE 200GB (3 partitions)
  • Video Card - GIGABYTE Radeon X800XL 256MB
  • Sound Card - AUDIGY 2 ZS Pro PCI
  • CD Burner
  • DVD Burner
  • Power Supply - Antec NeoPower 480W

Symptoms/Troubles:
  • Computer reboots instead of shutting down. Started happening about 1 week ago. Happens on and off seems lately though I have to shutdown the computer by turning off the power supply in the rear.
  • I have also noticed that sometimes when I hit the power button it takes a few moments for the cpu to turn on (Usually after I shutdown from rear of PSU.
  • Video shows post codes on uGuru clock on the board. I did 2 shutdown in the video. Normally you see FF when computer is on and 99 I think when it is off but not the case for me all the time.
Trouble Shooting I have done:
  • Fresh install of Windows XP(32-bit SP2) was about 10 months old figured it was time to redo. Erased my C: Drive and reinstalled.
  • Took out all USB connections and even all the hard drives except main SATA of course.
  • Tested Power Supply using a multimeter (at startup and underload and shutdown everything was ok power wise)

I am at a loss at this point as to what the problem could be. Done a lot of reading online and people seem to suggest its either the power supply or the motherboard itself. I am flat broke right now and from what I saw both are still under warranty. My motherboard has like a month and a half left before I have to pay an extra 25 bucks so does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do next?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions as to what could be causing this problem. The uguru codes the boards throws on restart as seen in video:
FF 98 F5 f. 8.3 83 81 90 98 04 C3 50 25 28 2d 33 49 98 52 65 7.A

FF F5 F. 3. 8.3 9.0 0.4 C3 4.8 25 29 28 2d 33 49 98 52 65 7.A 89 88? 6C? FF
=========================================

fcastro

Re: Abit AN8 Ultra Shutdown Problems - Fresh Install - VIDEO

Postby The_Ghost » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:06 pm

Power Supply - Antec NeoPower 480W

if you have another power supply handy try swapping it out , i had the same problem a while ago and changing the power supply cured my problem , same brand as yours
The_Ghost
K10 Opteron (Barcelona) Administrator
K10 Opteron (Barcelona) Administrator

Return to Abit