Text Size

Abit

VA-10 Duron (and Syntax Motherboard) - NO POST / VIDEO weird

VA-10 Duron (and Syntax Motherboard) - NO POST / VIDEO weird

Postby Shadowmorph » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:55 am

Ok, I've been building a few computers for myself for some time now - not forever, but my first build was a 233 Mhz back when that was considered fast, so I'm not a total moron (but partial, yes). So I know the basics, but I don't do a ton of mods - just some background...okay - so here's the problem. A little complex, so stay with me on this...

I'm working on a new computer for myself and using some parts from my old computer which I'm also slapping back together with some other parts to give to a friend. I bought a few CPUs to do this (all AMD Durons - on a budget) and have had some weird issues I haven't had before.

On my new system I have a VA-10 ABIT Motherboard - brand new outta the box. I had a 1.3 Ghz Duron in my old computer and I was waiting for a faster one to come in, so I decided since my friend needed the computer, I went ahead and put another 1.3 Ghz CPU I just bought for another computer I'm making as well (for another friend). Here's the basic set up I put together for my new one: VA-10 Motherboard, 1.3 Ghz Processor, 512 MB DDR RAM (PC2700 I think it is or something like that), using on board video and sound, WD 60 gig HD for system drive & Maxtor 40 gig for data drive (for files), TDK CD-RW and DVD-RW (two separate things) - oh and a floppy drive. Now the CD-ROMs and Hard Drives worked fine on my old computer set up (see below for that set up). Oh and a 450 watt Power Supply. Anyway, I put it all together, flashed the BIOS to make sure and turned it on. It powered up, but no beep or anything. Seemed that all the CD-ROMs and floppy did their "checks" but no video came up at all. I went ahead and tried putting in a video card to see if the on-board was screwy and still nothing. I tried putting the processor in my old computer - same result. Soooo - I figure it's the processor. Then I put my OLD processor (that worked fine in my old computer) and it wouldn't work at first in the new computer. I did another switch back to the new CPU - same thing - powers up but no video or post. Then, for the hell of it, switched back to the old one again. Then it posted, came up, everything was fine. Not sure what happened, I was like "screw it - it works." So then the 1.8 Ghz processor comes in...

I try putting it in and guess what. Same thing that happened with the other one. Powers up, but no video or post. I try flashing, swtiching, etc. - same result. I put my old CPU back in - comes up fine. Then, for the hell of it - in the middle of posting I turn my computer off, pop the new CPU in and then all of a sudden it posts and boots up. BUT - now it's reading under Windows XP My Computer Properties as a 1.36 Ghz CPU and not a 1.8 Ghz. Sooo, I flash the BIOS, boot up and still reads as a 1.36 Ghz....

So there's my dilemma....WTF is going on ?? Never seen anything like this before and it worries me since I have no clue what I did to get it all running. BTW - on the first go with the two 1.3 Ghz, I did try the "step by step strip down" method and disconnected everything and slowly put it all back, but it still did the same power on / no video thing.

My old setup was a Syntax MB (not sure of model number) with 512 SDRAM, Radeon 7500 and same Hard drives and CD-ROMs.

ANYONE that can shed light on this would be appreciated.
Shadowmorph

RE: VA-10 Duron (and Syntax Motherboard) - NO POST / VIDEO w

Postby The_Ghost » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:03 am

BUT - now it's reading under Windows XP My Computer Properties as a 1.36 Ghz CPU and not a 1.8 Ghz. Sooo, I flash the BIOS, boot up and still reads as a 1.36 Ghz

you have to go into the bios and change the fsb on the cpu

i do not know anything about that mother board ,so it might have a jumper on the motherboard to change the fsb

if i remember right 1.3 uses a 100mhz fsb and the 1.8 uses a 133mhz fsb

welcome to the Zone
The_Ghost
K10 Opteron (Barcelona) Administrator

Postby Shadowmorph » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:08 am

Nope no jumpers and it wouldn't let me get into the BIOS when I put the new processor in. It wouldn't get to anything. Just powered on and sat there.
Shadowmorph

Postby The_Ghost » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:14 am

what motherboard was you putting the cpu in when it was coming up to 1.36ghz ?
The_Ghost

Postby The_Ghost » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:15 am

oh and i would disconnect everything on your new motherboard and see if it will let you see the bios screen
The_Ghost

Return to Abit