Postby Nishat » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 pm

Ok, so here are my specs:
939 3200+
abit an8
x800
512 ddr 400
450 Wat aspire PSU
80 gig WD HDD

Ok so my last computer died because of a faulty mobo. So i salvage all the parts and i use the above equipment. I wasnt able to reformat the hdd before my last comp died.

So I boot up the new comp, throw in the windows xp cd-rom and wait.
I set the boot devices as cdrom 1st and hdd second.
I sit tight, it says pres any key to boot from cd-rom. I press a key (but I dont think the keyboard is responding)

Then is says Were sorry but windows did not shut down propely, probably due to some recent hardware change (you guys know that screen?) So at this point, the keyboard IS unresponsive and i wait for the countdown till windows starts.

So it reaches zero briefly goes to some blue screen and then restarts. This loops and loops until I turn it off

Is this my HDD? Is it because I didnt reformat? What steps can I take from here. :?: :? :?:
Nishat

RE: AH help plz

Postby The_Ghost » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:19 pm

why is your keyboard not working ???

is it a usb keyboard ? if so hook up a old ps2 keyboard to get you going
The_Ghost
K10 Opteron (Barcelona) Administrator

Postby Nishat » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:32 pm

No no, its a USB. It works because I can press del and get into bios and use it in bios also... It just gets unresponsive at the part where it says Were sorry but windows did not shut down propely a recent hardware/ software change could have done this..I dont think its the keyboard, Ill try anotherone that I know will work though.
Nishat

Postby Nishat » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:51 pm

Ok I tried another keyboard...it still goes unresponsve at the same 'windows did not shut down properly screen'. . Maby I should take it to the shop to get it reformatted and try again?
Nishat

Postby The_Ghost » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:58 pm

are you starting the computer from your windows cd ?

it doesn't sound like it , do you have your cd listed in your bios set as first boot ?

do you have a old ps2 keyboard that you can use ?
The_Ghost

Postby Nishat » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:22 pm

Yep. Im trying to install a fresh copy of xp on the HDD. So I set the cdrom as 1st boot device. So I insert the windows Xp home edition cd. But I get the above prblems.

I dont have a ps2 keyboard but i have two usb keyboards....Ill see if I can get one though.. But I shouldnt be having this issue of it not booting up right?
Nishat

Postby The_Ghost » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:42 pm

do you have your hard drive set as second boot , and or have the setting to look for other boot devices

don't put your hard drive in the list of boot devices , and if you have it set in the bios to look for other boot devices , change it so it won't look for other boot devices
The_Ghost

Postby Nishat » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:18 pm

Ok.. yea I had the HDD set as boot #2... Ill set it so it dosent have HDD for a boot device at all... Ill brb
Nishat

Postby Nishat » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:27 pm

Ok I disabled the second boot device so theres only one boot device now.. cd-rom.. Same thing happens
Nishat

Postby The_Ghost » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:33 pm

put the hard drive in another computer and format it
The_Ghost

Return to Abit