Text Size

Asus

ASUS M2N-SLI Power Supply question

ASUS M2N-SLI Power Supply question

Postby Brazos » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:51 pm

I've got an ASUS M2N-SLI mb that has a 24 pin power connector and a 4 pin power connector. I have two power supplies. One has 24 pin plus an 8 pin connector (plus 6 pin sli connectors, esata, etc) The other power supply has a 20 pin plus a 4 pin connector (plus others).
Do I need a power supply that has a 24 pin plus a 4 pin? If so - what spec is that?
I've looked for online guides but no luck.
Thanks.
Brazos

Re: ASUS M2N-SLI Power Supply question

Postby brutis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:27 pm

Welcome to the Zone!

The 24/8 pin would be preferable but the way the 8 pin is set up it wouldn't connect properly to the MB 4 pin, the part that isn't used would hit the MOSFET heatsink. The 20/4 would work but may not have enough to power everything, plus making sure that the 20 pin gets plugged in correctly.

They do make a 12v molex to P4 adapter BestByte that would work for the 24/8

What brand wattage is the PSU?
brutis
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator

Postby Brazos » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:03 pm

Thanks for the tip on the connector but I another poster on a different board said that I should ether cut the 8 pin connector into two or see use half on the 4 pin mb connector. Well last night I tried putting half on and it fit. There was just enough clearance (but only one way). Board powered up and everything seems fine.

What brand wattage is the PSU?

It's a SILVERSTONE 650W.

Now for the funny party - to answer your question about what brand psu I had I had to go to my Newegg account to look it up. In the review section look at what I found -

Also the one of the 8 pin connectors is actually two 4 pins clipped together. Took me far to long to figure that out.
Other Thoughts: Why did it have to have two 4 pin CPU connectors clipped together? Seems weird to me

Looks like I wasn't the only confused person.

Thanks for the help.
Brazos

Postby brutis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:01 pm

Glad you got it going Image
brutis

Postby mrzog » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:08 pm

I have a (non-SLI M2N-E) system that can't seem to recognize any PCI-E cards except the video card.

I have one PCIE x1, one PCIE x4 dual Intel NIC and one LSI SAS RAID card. All of these cards were working in this system at some point this spring.

I tried updating the BIOS to the latest stable release and that didn't help.

Two of the cards that are failing to be detected worked fine a few months ago in this system and they still work fine in a different system.

When I boot into a Knoppix CD the cards do not show up either.

I have a Thermaltake 420 watt power supply with 20 pins plus a 4 pin connector labeled "P4" in this system. Even when I have all three hard drives unplugged (from power) the system can't find the PCI-E cards.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before on ANY system?
mrzog

Return to Asus