Text Size

Asus

Asus, Gigabyte Final Motherboard Players

Asus, Gigabyte Final Motherboard Players

Postby Cat-Barf » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:15 am

Quoted from the main page here........

The above would be truly bad news in my opinion based on the fact I just got my 3rd frakked up ANUS motherboard in a row, purchased no less to replace a defective board that I have to send back to ANUS as it's beyond Newegg's return policy. Leaving me to get creative at home with how I connect to the internet until it's all resolved.

To add further fuel to the fire, ANUS boards seem to be getting a lot of end user complaints. Far more than "usual". I used to consider the boards to be generally decent quality, but lately it's a gamble buying them.

So the newest one, an M3N WS, purchased for the PCI-X controller, has something whacked with the realtek Audio hardware. Drivers from disc will not install, drivers from ANUS support site won't install. However deleting the attempted installs of said driver and rebooting allows a generic MS HD Audio driver to install with pretty much ZERO tweak options. As I would, at best on this machine maybe listen to an occasional Youtube video, maybe something from a DVD.

The problem is I know that the hardware has an issue of some sort, and I kinda feel like I should get what I paid for. Best I can tell, this lame MS Driver gives me no access to the optical audio ports should I want to use that.

My other board, the one being returned, I purchased without looking because I saw "Pro" in the title, and figured I was getting a decent workstation board, not a bargain basement cheapie. Problems booting, board doesn't get power. Takes several attempts, (can go on for hours trying) to get it to boot up. crashes constantly. And yes, I know absolutely for certain it's the board. ALL parts in it have been thoroughly tested. Best part was the realtek audio driver window would pop up saying I just plugged a device into the port, then pop up you have unplugged a device and this would go on and on and on until I disabled the drivers.

Also, should I be concerned the ANUS tech support had no idea what a Power PC & Computing power supply is? (sarcasm) It's only one of the best known, highest quality P/S's available.

A pity the quality has slipped so badly, Anus used to be a decent brand.
Cat-Barf
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester) Elite Boarder

Re: Asus, Gigabyte Final Motherboard Players

Postby AussieFX » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:25 am

I won't touch them now. Ever since I had their mega expensive crosshair board that they took forever to udate.
You can't sell $400 motherboards and then not support them, but that's Asus for you.
Sent from my flippy phone thingy using TAPATALK HD_2016.1

Nikon D7000 / Nikon D5000
AussieFX
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator

Postby AzmountAryl » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:49 am

Just to add - I had one ANUS board going dead for no apparent to me reason in one of my home PCs back in 2007.

Also, I can assure you that cheap ANUS boards (<=$65) always were, and proudly still are, a peace of poop.
AzmountAryl
K7 Athlon XP (Barton) Senior Boarder
K7 Athlon XP (Barton) Senior Boarder

Postby Boundless » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:07 pm

Cat-Barf: > ... should I be concerned the ANUS tech support had no
> idea what a Power PC & Computing power supply is? (sarcasm)

If that's literally how you put the question to them, then no.

I've never heard of "Power PC & Computing".
I have heard of "PC Power & Cooling" :)
________
So who actually makes AMD reference boards these days?
Boundless
K8 Athlon 64 (Orleans) Expert Boarder
K8 Athlon 64 (Orleans) Expert Boarder

Postby abinstein » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:22 pm

Shouldn't this discussion belong to the general or Asus boards?
abinstein

Postby Cat-Barf » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:29 pm

Well you can add me to the official list of NEVER BUY ASUS AGAIN crowd.

2 defective boards in a row, with a ton of hassle trying to get even one to work properly is enough. Problem is that only really leaves Gigabyte as an alternative, and I'm not thrilled with the prospect of trying to endure the ATI/AMD chipset.

I'll give AMD credit for these, but they are not high end.

Ok for my "toy" systems, okay for general home use systems, okay for HTPC systems, not ok for graphics systems.
Cat-Barf

Postby AussieFX » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:15 am

Cat-Barf wrote:Well you can add me to the official list of NEVER BUY ASUS AGAIN crowd.

2 defective boards in a row, with a ton of hassle trying to get even one to work properly is enough. Problem is that only really leaves Gigabyte as an alternative, and I'm not thrilled with the prospect of trying to endure the ATI/AMD chipset.

I'll give AMD credit for these, but they are not high end.

Ok for my "toy" systems, okay for general home use systems, okay for HTPC systems, not ok for graphics systems.

Huh?
790FX can have provision for 48 pcie lanes iirc.

Most intel boards only have 8x8 crossfire and this is why so many people are saying that on a system level (spider + dragon) that AMD are better.
Sure the SB600 and SB700 weren't great but the SB750 is fine, but they have nothing to do with graphics.

Apparently MSI are currently making a very good AM3 board. I don't know much about it as we can't get them here.

AussieFX

Postby Cat-Barf » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:01 pm

AussieFX wrote:Huh?
790FX can have provision for 48 pcie lanes iirc.

Has absolutely nothing to do with PCIe lanes, and everything to do with the fact that ATI has NEVER handled 3D application software very well.
Cat-Barf

Postby AussieFX » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:20 pm

I assume you're talking about IGP then, but what IGP does handle 3D well?

Certainly not intel.

AussieFX

Postby MKruer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:28 pm

I moved this topic here because it did belong in the K10 forums. BTW i have had two ASUS MB, and they worked fine. the only problem that i had with them was it was using the nvida chipset and they had issues with the raid controler causing the drives to corrupt the data. the solution was simple. i didn't install the nvidia HD drivers and just stuck with the MS default ones.
Lian-Li PC-V2000 Plus Aluminum Case; Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550 PSU; Asus M4A785TD-V EVO; Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 @ 4.0Ghz ; Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C; 8GB OCZ AMD Black Edition @ 1333Mhz; Sapphire Radeon HD 7870
MKruer
K10 Opteron (Barcelona) Administrator
K10 Opteron (Barcelona) Administrator

Location: I am not paid to do this, I don't even like to do this, I wonder why am I still doing this?

Return to Asus