Text Size

Asus

Alternative to Asus P5N-D (Intel)?

Alternative to Asus P5N-D (Intel)?

Postby skrubol » Tue May 25, 2010 1:23 am

Sorry about the Intel question, but I'm not on any Intel forums..
I've got a core-2 system that got a bit wet (don't ask,) and I think all that's wrecked is the motherboard. I've got a C2Q9450 and 8GB of DDR2 for it, so I don't want to upgrade the machine. I would like to know if there are any similar motherboards that might do a better job, but still be able to boot Windows without a reinstall. P5N-D's are around $90 right now (after rebate.)
Alternately, if there's something better for an HTPC/server role that'll fit the hardware, I might be willing to do a Windows reinstall. I've heard the Intel GMA rigs are decent for HTPC as the sorta support PAP, but getting a basic radeon 5xxx card would probably be a better solution there. This was my gaming machine, but it probably makes more sense to move it to being my HTPC/server (because that machine's dead as well, but too old to fix,) and build a new Ph2x6 for a gaming machine when I get around to it.
Any thoughts (other than burn it because it's Intel/nVidia,) are appreciated.
skrubol
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester) Elite Boarder

Re: Alternative to Asus P5N-D (Intel)?

Postby Am486DX100 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:09 pm

SATA or IDE?

Setting that ice cold mocha on the HTPC/server wasn't such a good idea. Spilling a nice drink on the keyboard never helps. :roll:

You could stay with the same or blend it.....lol. I couldn't help it. :P

Do what you need to do.
Am486DX100
K8 Athlon 64 (Venice) Expert Boarder

Postby skrubol » Tue May 25, 2010 11:28 pm

Hmm, not quite sure what your question is, but it made me consider that the boot drive being RAID0, I'll probably need the exact motherboard for it to boot.
Current storage config is 2x Velociraptor 300GB in RAID0 plus a 1TB SATA data drive.
I'm starting to consider consolidating for a while. Put the new P5N-D motherboard in my HTPC case and get a 4-port SATA card to run all the drives I'll have (2x for RAID0 + 5 data + 1 for BD will take 8 ports total.)
skrubol

Postby Am486DX100 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:01 pm

I didn't know what your storage needs were, but you answered it. :D
Am486DX100

Postby skrubol » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:06 pm

Got the new motherboard last week and installed it over the weekend. Didn't boot up at first (I hooked everything up, included some pretty nastily corroded connectors,) but after disconnecting everything below the waterline it booted. Plugged the SATA cables back in and it still booted. I think it's the USB card reader's cable that's bad. Or maybe the FP 1394. Either way, not a big deal.
Bought an external 4-bay eSATA enclosure with internal port replicator (or whatever it's called for SATA) for storage. 1 eSATA port for 4 drives, works out a lot cheaper than getting 4+ port SATA cards. Just got that today, maybe will install it this wknd.
skrubol

Return to Asus