Text Size

Asus

A7N8X-E deluxe sata boot sequence

A7N8X-E deluxe sata boot sequence

Postby tosca » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:12 am

First of all I want to say you guys make this site RULE!!!! I have found a host of answers searching through threads... I hope this thread isnt too redundant.. I loaded Win XP pro on a Raptor sata drive with a A7n8X-e deluxe and would like to run some ide drives as well. I cant find any info on how to make the sata drive the first boot device. It works great when just the sata is hooked up but when I hook up an IDE drive the bios overrides the sata and tries to boot from the ide. I messed around with the jumpers on the ide as well as changed boot to scsi in the bios with no luck. the mobo bios is 09 I was wondering if 13 will have some option to set boot for sata to be primary and Ide secondary.. If you can help me out with this it would be great.
tosca

Re: A7N8X-E deluxe sata boot sequence

Postby The_Ghost » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:14 am

try setting raid or scsi to boot first

if your sata is working fine with the drivers that you are using , then i would stay with the bios that you are using now

welcome to the Zone
The_Ghost
K10 Opteron (Barcelona) Administrator

Postby tosca » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:39 am

Thanks Ghost for your Reply. my options on this mobo are

ls120
hdd-0
scsi
hdd-1
hdd-2
hdd-3

I have had it on scsi and tried it with an IDE drive and the board still looks for the os on the ide drive. In the beginning of bootup the mobo reconizes the ide and then it shows the Sil raid info for the sata drive it pops up to. I am wondering if this board is hardwired to have IDE as the main and 2 sata channels for storage/raid. The board is jumped for sata.. If you guys have an idea I am all ears. thanks again ghost I have seen alot of your posts helping alot of people on this site.

craig
tosca

Postby The_Ghost » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:53 am

ok

go to your advanced menu

choose advance bios features

first boot , you set your scsi first
second boot , then your cd/dvd
third boot, then your floppy

boot other device , disable

try that and see how that works

if you ever go to reinstall windows disconnect your ide drives because it will install on your ide drives instead of your sata drive

hope this helps
The_Ghost

Postby tosca » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:26 am

Awsome that worked!! I tried it on the primary IDE cable and it didnt but the secondary worked fine. Ill jump the drive in primary mode to see if that works tomorrow. I have a adaptec 1200a ata raid card I want to use and if worse case I will hook up the drives on the secondary plugs. thanks again I had tried a few things but this was starting to rack my brain.. Ghost you rule!!

Craig
tosca

Postby The_Ghost » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:49 pm

Ghost you rule!!

no , not really , but i do have the same motherboard as you ;)
The_Ghost

Postby rerem » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:45 pm

A tactic I'd have used is go with the flow....I'ds do a minimalist W2k or XP on that IDE HD on a small partition....install Disk Director (Acronis) or the Boot Magic/Partition magic there. Then I'd use that to partition and set up SATA and/or RAID. The system wants to look first at the IDE---fine,it finds the boot MGR and that loads the boot loaders for anything else. The "Admin" partition should not be used except in emergency/repair,should not be on network/internet....that way your Boot Sector is pretty safe and stable and you get lots of options on your other "OS" disk or disk
rerem

Return to Asus