Text Size

DFI

No Thuban Support DFI Lanparty AM2+ Boards

No Thuban Support DFI Lanparty AM2+ Boards

Postby Karamiekos » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:15 am

So, by no fault of AMD, but at the fault of the Designed For Idiots (one of which is me) I will not be able to run a Thuban....EVER...it seems.

More than slightly torques me off. I bought a $150 premium motherboard with the hopes, and assurances from AMD, I would be able to run/upgrade to AM3 processors in this AM2+ board.

I will stick with my 9950 for a while then. I am not a Spintel fan and I cannot afford to buy a new board for my cpu upgrade. There is no good reason the company could not have come out and support this. I have heard everything fomr the Lanparty team dissolved to DFI doesn't think the cpu power on AM2+ boards can handle current draw of the 6 core beast.

Whatever the case, I don't feel the company is very forward thinking, and as samples were out of thuban to manufacturers a while ago a BIOS update should have been ready on the chip release date.

My current rig with 9950, 6 gig'o'rama, 160gb hard platter with 1 tb storage backup, and a 4850 paint smearer will do me well as the graphic below shows, but I am a bit burned, and will not be buying or reccomending anything from DFI.

Edit: cannot post pic, says "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." only a 100Kb file

Windows Experience Scores
Processor: 7.3
Memory (RAM): 7.3
Graphics 7.3
Gaming Graphics 7.3
Primary hard disk 5.9

Pretty balanced system.....need to replace my old 160Gb drive....maybe a Velociraptor or a solid state :twisted:
"The richest person, is the one who needs the least." -Unknown
"Remember barrels." -George Washington
"Then you start firing back some cocktails." -Zakk Wylde
Karamiekos
K8 Athlon 64 (Clawhammer) Senior Boarder

Re: No Thuban Support DFI Lanparty AM2+ Boards

Postby mdk777 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Don't feel too bad. MSI has not updated their BIOS for the
K9A2 Platinum

This board came with a SAS controler :!: in addition to the 4 way crossfire support.

What I mean is that this was MSI top of the line board.

Anyway, I understand the BIOS support is not a profit center. But it really is frustrating when you plan in advance and are let down, not by any mistake in your understanding of the upcoming technology, but just by the refusal of the manufacturer to maintain support.

AssuieFX says that GIG support is poor, and I've been burned by ASUS. I guess I would pay more if I knew that I could depend on long-term support.

What is EVGA record? I tend to think of them as over the top ultra enthusiast over-priced INTEL fan boys.

However, that is just my knee jerk reaction. :wink: It would be interesting to hear what their long term BIOS support is like.

Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
mdk777
Shiny Badge of Honor Member

Postby brutis » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:32 pm

What is EVGA record? I tend to think of them as over the top ultra enthusiast over-priced INTEL fan boys.

Aussie also said that he had heard that the EVGA MB design team went over to Sapphire so that should be interesting.

bigdroo and I have a Biostar TA790GX3 board; it's supposed to be AM2+ but doesn't even support the 955/65. The 945 CS is the max for it.

My (or should I say nephews) DFI 790FX M2RS doesn't support Thaban's either.

mdk777, did you flash your GD65 yet?
brutis
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator

Postby mdk777 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:24 pm

Yeah, thanks for asking.
Turns out that my flash USB drive stick was the problem.
Thought I had lost my mind for awhile. :o

I was using a 4GB Patriot XT Xporter. I never had any problem with any other computer recognizing the Drive. It is freaky fast, so I don't know if it is a problem with the new USB 3 or what?

I dug out an old Cruzer mini 256 MB out of my shaving kit. (You never know when you will need a USB key) And everything worked fine.

Of course one other annoyance is that WIN 7 was hiding all the OS files (the Win98 boot files) I should have know that, but I forgot. I always like the way WINDOWS makes life easier and easier on you.

Hey, computer users shouldn't know what OS files are in a folder, lets hide them by default. :!:
Great idea! :wink:

Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
mdk777
Shiny Badge of Honor Member

Postby neon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Here is the story on the dissolution of the LAnParty team

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mother ... -for-dfi/1

I have the 790GX M2RS, which is a great little uATX AM2+ board. A key selling point to me was its compatibility with AM2 and AM3 processors. However, without a LanParty engineering team, it seems unlikely that Thuban support will ever be added.
neon

Postby skrubol » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:22 pm

mdk777 wrote:Of course one other annoyance is that WIN 7 was hiding all the OS files (the Win98 boot files) I should have know that, but I forgot. I always like the way WINDOWS makes life easier and easier on you.

Hey, computer users shouldn't know what OS files are in a folder, lets hide them by default. :!:
Great idea! :wink:

I've actually run into one situation that justified this. When I was working on a helpdesk, a user called in and said her computer crashed. All she had done before it crashed was delete all the files that didn't have icons.. including those in the winnt, system32, etc directories..
skrubol
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester) Elite Boarder
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester) Elite Boarder

Postby Karamiekos » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:34 pm

They say it is not DFIs fault.... I still think DFI could put pressure on the company to make a bios..... Still seems poor no matter what way I look at it.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QC_wPTSZT0MJ:csd.dficlub.org/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D12755+LANPARTY+JR+790GX-M2RS+thuban&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
"The richest person, is the one who needs the least." -Unknown
"Remember barrels." -George Washington
"Then you start firing back some cocktails." -Zakk Wylde
Karamiekos

Return to DFI