Text Size

K10: Barcelona, Shanghai, Quad-Core Opteron, Phenom

Want to see our Roadmaps and Bulldozer Info?

AMD's latest line-up of CPUs including Shanghai Opteron, Phenom and Phenom II X4 & X3, Athlon X2.

Want to see our Roadmaps and Bulldozer Info?

Postby JF-AMD » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:55 pm

http://blogs.amd.com/nigeldessau/2009/1 ... on-of-amd/

Yeah, probably not to the degree that you want and probably not as detailed because you know we hold most details back for launch. But this is the annual event where we tell the financial analysts all about our upcoming plans.

I have been spending a lot of time on Bulldozer lately, especially with my new job, so we will finally be able to have a conversation about *some* of the details.

I'll probably start another Q&A thread and maybe another blog based on your SERVER questions. Remember, I don't do clients.

It's going to be a very interesting 2010.
While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Follow AMD Opteron on Twitter: @JF_AMD
JF-AMD
XIP

Re: Want to see our Roadmaps and Bulldozer Info?

Postby hyc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 pm

I wonder if the various anti-Intel lawsuits will be discussed... (OK, obviously they won't be at liberty to comment...)

At the moment my painpoint is in notebooks, the notebook I have is dying and there aren't any AMD-based notebooks with the complete set of features that I want. It feels to me like AMD's offerings are still being restrained in this space, and it's bugging the hell out of me that I can't buy what I want.

Aside from that, I'm always eager to see what's coming up in servers...
hyc
K8 Athlon 64 (Winchester) Expert Boarder

Postby muziqaz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:42 pm

spill the beans. We won't tell anyone :D How was the football the other week? I assume you are a liverpool fan, because who goes to watch fullham play? So i guess game was shit :D but if you were there just for the game of football, then game was very nice :)
Proud member of Folding@Home project.
http://folding.stanford.edu
muziqaz
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester) Elite Boarder

Postby MKruer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:44 pm

I would pay good money. well maybe a few pennies. to see AMD come out with an ad like this about Intels tactics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IDmF1O4cNM
Fight the evil empire! :twisted:
Lian-Li PC-V2000 Plus Aluminum Case; Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550 PSU; Asus M4A785TD-V EVO; Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 @ 4.0Ghz ; Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C; 8GB OCZ AMD Black Edition @ 1333Mhz; Sapphire Radeon HD 7870
MKruer
K10 Opteron (Barcelona) Administrator

Location: I am not paid to do this, I don't even like to do this, I wonder why am I still doing this?

Postby muziqaz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:46 pm

MKruer wrote:I would pay good money. well maybe a few pennies. to see AMD come out with an ad like this about Intels tactics.

hehe, memories...
muziqaz

Postby MKruer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 pm

muziqaz wrote:
MKruer wrote:I would pay good money. well maybe a few pennies. to see AMD come out with an ad like this about Intels tactics.

hehe, memories...

its doubly pointant considering the 20th anniversary of the Berlin wall.
Lian-Li PC-V2000 Plus Aluminum Case; Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550 PSU; Asus M4A785TD-V EVO; Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 @ 4.0Ghz ; Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C; 8GB OCZ AMD Black Edition @ 1333Mhz; Sapphire Radeon HD 7870
MKruer

Location: I am not paid to do this, I don't even like to do this, I wonder why am I still doing this?

Postby JF-AMD » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:30 am

muziqaz wrote:spill the beans. We won't tell anyone :D How was the football the other week? I assume you are a liverpool fan, because who goes to watch fullham play? So i guess game was shit :D but if you were there just for the game of football, then game was very nice :)

We were supporting fulham so it was a great game. Since I am german, I tend to be a Bayern fan ;)

JF-AMD
XIP

Postby muziqaz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:36 am

JF-AMD wrote:
muziqaz wrote:spill the beans. We won't tell anyone :D How was the football the other week? I assume you are a liverpool fan, because who goes to watch Fulham play? So i guess game was shit :D but if you were there just for the game of football, then game was very nice :)

We were supporting Fulham so it was a great game. Since I am german, I tend to be a Bayern fan ;)

Fulham it is then :D
I tend to support their neighbours - chelsea(no not because it is owned by russian prick) :D
but enough of off topic :) let's talk bulldozer.
muziqaz

Postby abinstein » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:50 am

JF-AMD wrote:http://blogs.amd.com/nigeldessau/2009/11/10/the-next-generation-of-amd/

Yeah, probably not to the degree that you want and probably not as detailed because you know we hold most details back for launch. But this is the annual event where we tell the financial analysts all about our upcoming plans.

Really can't wait to see it! :)

I have been spending a lot of time on Bulldozer lately, especially with my new job, so we will finally be able to have a conversation about *some* of the details.

Hmmm... isn't Bulldozer for 2011??? :?: :?:
Anandtech -- a site which every visit makes me regret my time spent! It is a living testimony of Einstein's quote:"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
abinstein
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator

Postby muziqaz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:54 am

abinstein wrote:Hmmm... isn't Bulldozer for 2011??? :?: :?:

shhhh, don't tell them, they might stick to this 'new' schedule and release it next year. :D I think JF meant, that next year will be exciting for them(AMD) because they will be getting 1st test chips from bulldozer and 32nm :)
muziqaz

Postby BaronMatrix » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:16 am

hyc wrote:I wonder if the various anti-Intel lawsuits will be discussed... (OK, obviously they won't be at liberty to comment...)

At the moment my painpoint is in notebooks, the notebook I have is dying and there aren't any AMD-based notebooks with the complete set of features that I want. It feels to me like AMD's offerings are still being restrained in this space, and it's bugging the hell out of me that I can't buy what I want.

What are you looking for? There are plenty of Tigris notebooks around going from 14" to 18". The only thing I haven't seen is one with the enthusiast GPU (>4650).
MSI 790GX X4 940 - @ 3GHz - AC64 HSF - HD 4870 512MB - 8GB DDR2 - 1TB HDD - BluRay - TX650 W - Antec 300 - 2X ACER 23"
HP DV7-3065 - M600 - 17" LCD - BD-Rom - HDMI\eSATA - .5TB HDD - HD4200
BaronMatrix
K8 Athlon 64 (San Diego) Expert Boarder

Postby JF-AMD » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:09 am

abinstein wrote:

Hmmm... isn't Bulldozer for 2011??? :?: :?:

Doh!

My mistake. 2010 is G34 and C32. That is where the fun starts. They are the enablement platforms for bulldozer. It will drop into both sockets. Bulldozer is 2011. If you spend the last 2 weeks on the road, doing press interviews, sales training sessions and analyst calls things start to blur together.

JF-AMD
XIP

Postby piesquared » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:09 am

Great thread JF, looking forward to new info! And there's something i was wondering about. Can you comment if there are any plans for using the HTX slot in the future? That name has been popping up a fair bit lately in the rumour mill, so got me curious about some kind of workstation card or something. :mrgreen:
piesquared
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby JF-AMD » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:25 am

Can't really comment on anyone's plans specifically. I know there are a few implementations out there, but for the most part, people are using PCI express gen 2 for high-bandwidth peripherals.

Outside of QDR Infiniband, nothing is really saturating the PCIe bus today on servers.

JF-AMD
XIP

Postby MU_Engineer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:37 am

JF-AMD wrote:
We were supporting fulham so it was a great game. Since I am german, I tend to be a Bayern fan ;)

Yeah, we never would have guessed that you were German, with your last name being Fruehe :mrgreen:

Back on topic, it will be interesting to see what gets said on Analyst Day. I'll have to look at the PDFs since there is no way I'd be able to view the webcast live.
Desktop: Opteron 6234, SM H8QGL, 4x4 GB PC3-12800
HTPC: 2x 2 GHz Xeon LV Sossaman, TYAN S5365, 6 GB PC2-3200R
File Server: 2x Xeon X5260, MSi MS-91A1, 12 GB PC2-5300F
Router: Athlon 5150, Biostar AM1ML, 4 GB PC3-12800
MU_Engineer
K8 Athlon 64 (Orleans) Expert Boarder
K8 Athlon 64 (Orleans) Expert Boarder

Postby JF-AMD » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:41 am

Yeah, I have a full day of meetings tomorrow, so I won't really be able to begin answering questions until the evening.

JF-AMD
XIP

Postby piesquared » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:06 am

Can you leak a couple slides?? :)
piesquared
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby hyc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:02 am

BaronMatrix wrote:
hyc wrote:I wonder if the various anti-Intel lawsuits will be discussed... (OK, obviously they won't be at liberty to comment...)

What are you looking for? There are plenty of Tigris notebooks around going from 14" to 18". The only thing I haven't seen is one with the enthusiast GPU (>4650).

Something like a mobile workstation, equivalent to the Dell M4400. 15.4" WUXGA RGBLED screen, backlit keyboard, but using ATI graphics and AMD CPU. HP seems to be the only vendor with AMD pro-oriented notebooks, but their high end 85xx series is only Intel. Their AMD models are in their "budget" series 65xx, 64xx, and with significantly poorer features. I.e., they are still being consigned to the back-streets of the computing scene, just as Paul Otellini wanted...
hyc

Postby JF-AMD » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:09 pm

piesquared wrote:Can you leak a couple slides?? :)

I've grown accustomed to the taste of food and sleeping inside, so I will take a pass on that.

JF-AMD
XIP

Bulldozer supports DDR3 1866 and has 8MB of L3 cache

Postby vsary6968 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:30 pm

Bulldozer supports DDR3 1866 And has 8MB of L3 cache HERE IS THE LINK: http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16373/1/

Yesterday we got some initial details about AMD's up-to-8-core Bulldozer CPU codenamed Zambezi and today we got additional details to fill in some gaps.

Zambezi is a 32nm CPU that comes in AM3r2 packaging and it will have 8MB of L3 cache. It is interesting to mention that it supports DDR3-1866, something that is yet to become a standard. At the same time Bulldozer comes in 2011, probably mid to late 2011, so the memory guys have plenty of time to prepare for the faster memory.

The chip also supports a new technology called APM Boost Technology and we suspect that this might be AMD’s answer to Intel’s turbo, but we're not sure about this.

Quad-core Deneb and six-core Thuban 45nm processors will have to hold their ground until Zambezi launches as part of the Scorpius platform, in 2011.
vsary6968
K6-III Fresh Boarder
K6-III Fresh Boarder

Postby Montaray Jack » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:51 pm

The webcast will be here:http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?p=irol-eventDetails&c=74093&eventID=2345413
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:30 a.m. ET
No.6: “The whole earth as. . . `The Village'?”
No.2: “That is my hope. What's yours?”
No.6: “I'd like to be the first man on the moon!”
--Chimes of Big Ben
Montaray Jack
K8 Athlon 64 (Clawhammer) Senior Boarder
K8 Athlon 64 (Clawhammer) Senior Boarder

Postby BaronMatrix » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:21 pm

hyc wrote:
BaronMatrix wrote:

Something like a mobile workstation, equivalent to the Dell M4400. 15.4" WUXGA RGBLED screen, backlit keyboard, but using ATI graphics and AMD CPU. HP seems to be the only vendor with AMD pro-oriented notebooks, but their high end 85xx series is only Intel. Their AMD models are in their "budget" series 65xx, 64xx, and with significantly poorer features. I.e., they are still being consigned to the back-streets of the computing scene, just as Paul Otellini wanted...

I don't know. I spotted a DV7 HP at my local stroe with a 2.4GHz chip, 7200 HDD, and a 4530 GPU. It is true that most OEMs don't deck out AMD kits. I saw my first Phenom II with a GT295 and water on Newegg. That thing would be crazy fast. But then it seems that Intel is paying a lot of money to keep AMD in as few SKUs as possible. It's really a shame, especially considering that i7 9xx was a real ripoff compared to i5 7xx\8xx.

I wonder how it's not obvious that Core i7 as it was initially rleased was to generate more monopoly profits. All benches show that i7 965 is not worth $400 more than i7 950.
MSI 790GX X4 940 - @ 3GHz - AC64 HSF - HD 4870 512MB - 8GB DDR2 - 1TB HDD - BluRay - TX650 W - Antec 300 - 2X ACER 23"
HP DV7-3065 - M600 - 17" LCD - BD-Rom - HDMI\eSATA - .5TB HDD - HD4200
BaronMatrix

Postby piesquared » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:15 pm

JF-AMD wrote:
piesquared wrote:Can you leak a couple slides?? :)

I've grown accustomed to the taste of food and sleeping inside, so I will take a pass on that.

. yeah no doubt. Well I didn't mean leak them in a under the table sort of way though. Maybe leak was the wrong word. How about could you show us a couple approved slides then? :) At any rate, the point is moot since it will be starting in 15 mins!
piesquared
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby JF-AMD » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Watch the presentations, then afterward I will answer questions within reason. Server questions or general technology questions. No desktop or client implementation because I don't know about those things.

JF-AMD
XIP

Postby wuttz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 pm

i'm watching the webcast right now! :mrgreen:
wuttz

Next

Return to K10: Barcelona, Shanghai, Quad-Core Opteron, Phenom