Text Size

AMD Fusion, Bobcat, Bulldozer

Will Llano socket be compatible with Future Bulldozer APU?

Discussion about AMD's upcoming CPU's and APU's

Postby bongbong » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:15 pm

I just want to know if i got a Llano system will I be able to put in the future Bulldozer with IGP
(I think its called Trinity correct me if im wrong) or would i still have to buy a newboard for the Bulldozer APU if ever?
(yes i know there is a Bulldozer witn no igp coming this year but im talking about the Bulldozer with an IGP maybe 2012 arrival date)
If AMD can make an advance announcement that Llano boards will be compatible with the Bulldozer with IGP then they can make a lot of money.
bongbong
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Re: Will Llano socket be compatible with Future Bulldozer AP

Postby TMack » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:48 pm

I don't think it will be compatible, but then again who really knows, the current Bulldozer chip that's going to be released is Socket AM3+ going by that logic, LLano is supposed to be a phenom 2 processor and video card together they're supposed to be using a new socket, but it will be very interesting if AMD provided a drop in chip replacement, but I really doubt it, the both architectures are supposed to be different like Night and Day!
TMack

Postby BaronMatrix » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 pm

bongbong wrote:I just want to know if i got a Llano system will I be able to put in the future Bulldozer with IGP
(I think its called Trinity correct me if im wrong) or would i still have to buy a newboard for the Bulldozer APU if ever?
(yes i know there is a Bulldozer witn no igp coming this year but im talking about the Bulldozer with an IGP maybe 2012 arrival date)
If AMD can make an advance announcement that Llano boards will be compatible with the Bulldozer with IGP then they can make a lot of money.

Bulldozer will be an APU and then it will fit into the FM1 Llano socket. As a CPU it doesn't have the electrical or pin compatibility.
MSI 790GX X4 940 - @ 3GHz - AC64 HSF - HD 4870 512MB - 8GB DDR2 - 1TB HDD - BluRay - TX650 W - Antec 300 - 2X ACER 23"
HP DV7-3065 - M600 - 17" LCD - BD-Rom - HDMI\eSATA - .5TB HDD - HD4200
BaronMatrix
K8 Athlon 64 (San Diego) Expert Boarder

Postby Smartidiot89 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:03 pm

bongbong wrote:I just want to know if i got a Llano system will I be able to put in the future Bulldozer with IGP

I can almost guarantee that Trinity will be backwards compatible for Llano-boards.
Smartidiot89

Postby bongbong » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:13 pm

They did say that current AM3 cpus will work with the AM3+ socket But the Bulldozer CPU (no igp) wont work with the old AM3 socket (no backwards compatibility for the Bulldozer CPU on am3)
so Im hoping that the llano socket will be designed with forwards compatibility for the Bulldozer APU (Bulldozer cpu+igp) because having to buy a new board again and a new APU a year after the LLano is released isnt very practical.
Llano 2011 release date then the Bulldozer APU (Trinity) 2012 so I hope someone from AMD can clarify this.
If i cant get a clear answer then ill have to wait 2012 then :(
bongbong
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby hyc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:17 pm

By then the world will be ending...
hyc
K8 Athlon 64 (Winchester) Expert Boarder

Postby bongbong » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:28 pm

@hyc hope that was a joke man anyway its supposed to be dec 12 2012 enough time to enjoy my new
Trinity system hehehe :lol: Seriously i do know where Im going if that ever happens :D

I can almost guarantee that Trinity will be backwards compatible for Llano-boards.

Really? :o @ smartidiot
I hope this is true, Man i cant wait...
If only AMD can make an early official announcement before the llano boards come out
that Trinity will be supported, they can make a killing on those platforms.
I can imagine how big a deal would this be for casual gamers everywhere.
Llano buyers will be an instant existing market for the Trinity since this will be the only way to upgrade their systems without buying a new board.
I can almost see the Fusion slogan now:
Get a Llano system this year, put in a Bulldozer APU next year.
bongbong
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby hyc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:42 pm

:D
hyc

Postby BaronMatrix » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:46 pm

bongbong wrote:They did say that current AM3 cpus will work with the AM3+ socket But the Bulldozer CPU (no igp) wont work with the old AM3 socket (no backwards compatibility for the Bulldozer CPU on am3)
so Im hoping that the llano socket will be designed with forwards compatibility for the Bulldozer APU (Bulldozer cpu+igp) because having to buy a new board again and a new APU a year after the LLano is released isnt very practical.
Llano 2011 release date then the Bulldozer APU (Trinity) 2012 so I hope someone from AMD can clarify this.
If i cant get a clear answer then ill have to wait 2012 then :(

The big difference between Llano and Zambezi is the GPU. That more so determines the socket and AMD is sticking with Fusion so I doubt there'll be an FM1+ too quick. Maybe if they ever go above 4 cores. I don't see that happening too fast as Fusion is for the mainstream and Zambezi will be for discrete graphics - which WON'T BE GOING AWAY.

I NEED my 1920 gaming and no Fusion chip for 2011 or 2012 will do it. Especially with CrySis 2 coming.
MSI 790GX X4 940 - @ 3GHz - AC64 HSF - HD 4870 512MB - 8GB DDR2 - 1TB HDD - BluRay - TX650 W - Antec 300 - 2X ACER 23"
HP DV7-3065 - M600 - 17" LCD - BD-Rom - HDMI\eSATA - .5TB HDD - HD4200
BaronMatrix

Postby hyc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 pm

I need my 1920x1200 screen too, but just for my desktop / workspace, not games. Oh, plus an occasional movie here and there.

Would love to have a Fusion machine with a screen with the pixel density of these new smartphones, but full 1920x1200 resolution.

I doubt AMD is going to release a socket (FM1) that only has a 1 year lifespan. Just not worth the investment, and their OEMs would rebel.
hyc

Postby Pietro sk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:01 pm

that infos makes me think, will be next year final end of AM_ socket series ??
The famous intel lawsuit Image Moron is playing VIDEO-game
Not biased Cinebench ? Think again ... They say it´s "finetuned" for intel CPU´s .. Image
Pietro sk
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Windsor) Elite Boarder

Postby Smartidiot89 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:48 am

bongbong wrote:@hyc hope that was a joke man anyway its supposed to be dec 12 2012 enough time to enjoy my new
Trinity system hehehe :lol: Seriously i do know where Im going if that ever happens :D

Really? :o @ smartidiot
I hope this is true, Man i cant wait...
If only AMD can make an early official announcement before the llano boards come out
that Trinity will be supported, they can make a killing on those platforms.
I can imagine how big a deal would this be for casual gamers everywhere.
Llano buyers will be an instant existing market for the Trinity since this will be the only way to upgrade their systems without buying a new board.
I can almost see the Fusion slogan now:
Get a Llano system this year, put in a Bulldozer APU next year.

AMD won't change their strategy and make a new socket every single year, so when Llano comes the boards will surely have a touch of "AM2/AM3" so to speak. AM2 worked for K8 but still there are some boards that can handle Phenom II CPU's! That is 3 generations and 3 different architectures on one single socket. Their upgradability when it came to Socket F was also astounding.

So I can say with confidence Llano-boards will be futureproof. What you might lack dropping in a Trinity is OFFICIAL (you can always overclock and go out of specifications) support for higher speed DDR3, then obviously the new stuff in the coming Southbridge whatever that will be. But generally I don't see a reason why AMD would be so stupid and not make it work 8) Just make sure to buy a brand that gives a damn about their customers so you get BIOS-support for Trinity. I would firstly say Gigabyte, then ASUS but Gigabyte has the best history so far when it comes to backwardscompatibility dropping AM3 CPU's into really, really, grandmother old-ish AM2 motherboards.

But conclusion is really I do believe in AMD's best efforts to make your stuff last as long as possible. Hasn't AMD promised a 5 year life-span for C32 and G34? As long as it doesn't hamper performance noticeably backwardscompatibility is a given in my book.
Smartidiot89

Postby bongbong » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:59 pm

Theres no reason why the LLano boards wont have pciex slots so users can have hybrid crossfire.
Really im not a hardcore gamer anymore but just imagine if all pcs whether mobile or desktop are standardized to llano level graphics (instead of the crappy intel graphics common now)then developers will have a higher standard of graphics for most common denominator.
So people with Llano graphics will start out as casual gamers , get hooked, then upgrade to more powerful videocards etc its like drugs! :D
Seriously if the casual gaming experience is pleasant for newcomers then they will get hooked and they will buy more powerful hardware in time so the discrete market will actually flourish.
bongbong
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby Smartidiot89 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:15 pm

bongbong wrote:Theres no reason why the LLano boards wont have pciex slots so users can have hybrid crossfire.
Really im not a hardcore gamer anymore but just imagine if all pcs whether mobile or desktop are standardized to llano level graphics (instead of the crappy intel graphics common now)then developers will have a higher standard of graphics for most common denominator.
So people with Llano graphics will start out as casual gamers , get hooked, then upgrade to more powerful videocards etc its like drugs! :D
Seriously if the casual gaming experience is pleasant for newcomers then they will get hooked and they will buy more powerful hardware in time so the discrete market will actually flourish.

Rick Bergman said during AMD Analyst Day that it would be possible to couple their APU's together with another graphicscard for higher gaming performance :) Not sure exactly which models
Smartidiot89

Postby Pietro sk » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:41 pm

bongbong wrote:Theres no reason why the LLano boards wont have pciex slots so users can have hybrid crossfire.

People are looking for : web laptops or powerfull-gaming like.
"user replaceable" MXM modules are not a easy task - it´s problematic to find such modules, and sometimes new gpu module may not fit in laptop well..

Llano seems ok for medium/high gaming laptops
The famous intel lawsuit Image Moron is playing VIDEO-game
Not biased Cinebench ? Think again ... They say it´s "finetuned" for intel CPU´s .. Image
Pietro sk

Postby bongbong » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:27 am

bongbong
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby Smartidiot89 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:50 pm

Ofcourse it will, I have said this many times. Wanna know where I heard about it? From Rick Bergman on AMD Analyst Day ;)
Smartidiot89

Postby abinstein » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:21 am

move from K10 board
abinstein
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator

Postby tryathlon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:01 pm

what's the release date for the bulldozer. Early 2012?
tryathlon

Postby wuttz » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:29 am

tryathlon wrote:what's the release date for the bulldozer. Early 2012?

"september" 2011, i.e. "60-90 days" from june 1st.
wuttz
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester) Elite Boarder
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester) Elite Boarder

Postby abinstein » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:44 am

Should be some time in August... :)
abinstein

Postby Smartidiot89 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:54 pm

From the 1st of June it was "60-90" days but I've heard it's now been pushed slightly to September 6th...
Smartidiot89

Return to AMD Fusion, Bobcat, Bulldozer