Text Size

AMD Fusion, Bobcat, Bulldozer

AMD Q2 Earnings

Discussion about AMD's upcoming CPU's and APU's

AMD Q2 Earnings

Postby fonzy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:20 pm

AMD is reporting today at 5:00 pm EST.

Analysts expect earnings of 8 cents per share, on $1.58 billion in revenue.

For reference, Intel beat expectations yesterday. (But Atom revenue went down).

Let's hope for a good quarter from AMD. Brazos should make a nice impact.
fonzy
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Re: AMD Q2 Earnings

Postby savantu » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:50 pm

fonzy wrote:AMD is reporting today at 5:00 pm EST.

Analysts expect earnings of 8 cents per share, on $1.58 billion in revenue.

For reference, Intel beat expectations yesterday. (But Atom revenue went down).

Let's hope for a good quarter from AMD. Brazos should make a nice impact.

Is it Brazos or the Ipad ? Apple reported a blowout Q. Atom is hurting, but the issue seems to be more akin to netbooks falling out of favour vs. tablets.
savantu

Postby abinstein » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:57 pm

savantu wrote:Is it Brazos or the Ipad ? Apple reported a blowout Q. Atom is hurting, but the issue seems to be more akin to netbooks falling out of favour vs. tablets.

I guess we'll see for sure later.
My guess is it's more tablet than Brazo that caused Atom decline.
abinstein
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator

Postby wuttz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Q2 2011 Segment Results – Computing Solutions
Computing Solutions segment revenue was $1.2 billion, flat compared to the prior quarter as higher mobile processor revenue was offset by lower server and desktop microprocessor revenue.
• In a seasonally down quarter, AMD’s successful regional assortment helped offset seasonal trends as we capitalize on growth with key strategic OEMs, while making progress in key growth areas such as China and Latin America.
• record mobile processor unit shipments were driven by continued strength of the APU platform, now representing over 70% of total mobile platform unit shipments and revenue in the quarter. We shipped over 1 million Llano APUs in the quarter and nearly 6 million Brazos APUs.
• APU platforms now represent over 40% of client units shipped, underlining strong APU adoption and reflecting the beginning of a shift in the computing industry from legacy microprocessors to a revolutionary APU architecture.
APUs have opened up significant opportunities within our customer base,
• the AMD E-series Fusion APU-based Lenovo x120e was one of the top selling commercial notebooks among distributors targeting small and medium businesses and exceeding demand forecasts.
• we continue to grow our commercial footprint as AMD-based offerings are sold to large financial institutions.
we saw a 50% year-over-year increase in notebook designs from our top OEM partners.
Computing Solutions operating income was $142 million, up $42 million from the previous quarter, primarily due to improved gross margins from a richer mix of APU sales compared to the prior quarter.

http://quarterlyearnings.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=quarterlyearnings

graphics unit reports a small loss, gotta get that 7000-radeons out the door asap. :wink:
wuttz
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester) Elite Boarder

Postby scorpiDragon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:06 am

wuttz wrote:graphics unit reports a small loss, gotta get that 7000-radeons out the door asap. :wink:

Not only that. AMD could be hit by users holding off (like me) for sockets FMx (as in 2 & 3) to hit the market. :wink:
scorpiDragon
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby Smartidiot89 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:18 am

scorpiDragon wrote:
wuttz wrote:graphics unit reports a small loss, gotta get that 7000-radeons out the door asap. :wink:

Not only that. AMD could be hit by users holding off (like me) for sockets FMx (as in 2 & 3) to hit the market. :wink:

A very small extreme that is... ;)

Nice that it's an success for AMD, 1 million Llano's shipped last quarter (released for notebook the 14th, desktop 30th). That's mighty impressive
Smartidiot89

Postby savantu » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:33 am

Smartidiot89 wrote:
scorpiDragon wrote:

A very small extreme that is... ;)

Nice that it's an success for AMD, 1 million Llano's shipped last quarter (released for notebook the 14th, desktop 30th). That's mighty impressive

Well, Llano has been shipping to partners since March, so 1 mil in 3 and something months isn't breathtaking.
What's impressive is Brazos. Not only it did well in netbooks ( getting probably a 30-40% market share there ), but it also ended up in full fledged laptops. There will be some cannibalization from Llano there, but it's better to be inhouse than to a rival.
savantu

Postby fonzy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Not a bad Q overall. Q3 should be even better. Am worried a bit about "Revenue in its microprocessor division was flat. The division was hurt by lower revenue from server chips, suggesting losses in market share to Intel. Intel's revenue from server chips was up in the latest quarter." though. (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Sales-of- ... l?x=0&.v=6) Bulldozer should hopefully change that tide when it's out.
fonzy
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby wuttz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:47 pm

savantu wrote:Well, Llano has been shipping to partners since March, so 1 mil in 3 and something months isn't breathtaking.

march really doesnt count as a whole month, to put it in proper perspective. might as well call it april. :roll:
wuttz

Postby Kedas » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:04 pm

Stock is almost 10% up due to Q2 results/message.
This is about what was lost in the last two weeks due to the market crisis.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."
[Albert Einstein]
Kedas
K7 Athlon XP (Palomino) Junior Boarder

Postby wuttz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:12 pm

savantu wrote:There will be some cannibalization from Llano there, but it's better to be inhouse than to a rival.

lol right, far be it to happen for llano to do to sb what brazos did to atom.. :? :roll: :roll:
wuttz

Postby Pietro sk » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:56 pm

Smartidiot89 wrote: Nice that it's an success for AMD, 1 million Llano's shipped last quarter (released for notebook the 14th, desktop 30th). That's mighty impressive

Shipping started only 3 months ago ?
The famous intel lawsuit Image Moron is playing VIDEO-game
Not biased Cinebench ? Think again ... They say it´s "finetuned" for intel CPU´s .. Image
Pietro sk
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Windsor) Elite Boarder
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Windsor) Elite Boarder

Postby wuttz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Pietro sk wrote:Shipping started only 3 months ago ?

1. atom got brazo'd (9 million shipments total)
2. sb getting llano'd
3. xeon gonna get bulldozed

During the chipmaker’s earnings conference call, interim CEO Thomas Seifert said demand for Llano was strong. “We expect Llano ramp to outpace the Brazos ramp," he added.

fudo
wuttz

Postby Kedas » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 pm

no words needed, just moments ago +15% (1 dollar):
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."
[Albert Einstein]
Kedas

Postby Smartidiot89 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Pietro sk wrote:
Smartidiot89 wrote: Nice that it's an success for AMD, 1 million Llano's shipped last quarter (released for notebook the 14th, desktop 30th). That's mighty impressive

What's impressive with these numbers are that only low quantities/next to no Llano laptops was sold during the last quarter. Yes it started shipping in April but 1 million total must mean high demand from the OEM's.

The notebook market is more about "shelf-space" and it seems the OEM's are taking Llano seriously judging this.
Smartidiot89

Postby abinstein » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:04 pm

wuttz wrote:
savantu wrote:Well, Llano has been shipping to partners since March, so 1 mil in 3 and something months isn't breathtaking.

march really doesnt count as a whole month, to put it in proper perspective. might as well call it april. :roll:

His original statement is moot. AMD already said it's 1 million in the "last quarter." That means last quarter. Does last quarter include March? People seriously need to go back to grade school to improve their reading skills. :roll:

But still, I'd say Llano is underperforming in terms of shipment. 1 million is not that good for a strong product. Definitely not enough to get their market share up significantly. The more worrisome is they are much stronger in Brazo than in Llano. That is they are selling more low-end products. Intel OTOH is much stronger in Core i3/i5 than Atom. Consumers still put Brazo and Atom into the same category. Which I guess AMD's marketing has some to blame for. :P
abinstein

Postby wuttz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:22 pm

Kedas wrote:no words needed, just moments ago +15% (1 dollar):

motherf&*&#(!*.. it just keeps climbing! http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AMD
wuttz

Postby BaronMatrix » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:36 pm

wuttz wrote:

They got a much bigger jump than even MS who had record earnings. It may begin that climb back up to the $30s. Think I may grab some in the next months.
MSI 790GX X4 940 - @ 3GHz - AC64 HSF - HD 4870 512MB - 8GB DDR2 - 1TB HDD - BluRay - TX650 W - Antec 300 - 2X ACER 23"
HP DV7-3065 - M600 - 17" LCD - BD-Rom - HDMI\eSATA - .5TB HDD - HD4200
BaronMatrix
K8 Athlon 64 (San Diego) Expert Boarder

Postby Smartidiot89 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:05 pm

BaronMatrix wrote:
wuttz wrote:

They got a much bigger jump than even MS who had record earnings. It may begin that climb back up to the $30s. Think I may grab some in the next months.

I think the jump was due to AMD letting alot of information slip.

1. They are not in a hurry to find a new CEO, they will take their good time until they find a candidate which is up to the task.

2. They have showed of Trinity, and said they are planning atleast one model which will consume less then half the power of todays lowest power 35W Llano APU (this is below the 18W of Zacate...).

3. AMD confirmed to the Wall Street Journal in their voice call that Bulldozer is shipping to partners next month.

I think point 1 and 3 put the stock-owners and market at ease.
Smartidiot89

Postby Am486DX100 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Smartidiot89 wrote:
BaronMatrix wrote:They got a much bigger jump than even MS who had record earnings. It may begin that climb back up to the $30s. Think I may grab some in the next months.

I think the jump was due to AMD letting alot of information slip.

1. They are not in a hurry to find a new CEO, they will take their good time until they find a candidate which is up to the task of a good whipping and a firing!

2. They have showed of Trinity, and said they are planning atleast one model which will consume less then half the power of todays lowest power 35W Llano APU (this is below the 18W of Zacate...).

3. AMD confirmed to the Wall Street Journal in their voice call that Bulldozer is shipping to partners next month.

I think point 1 and 3 put the stock-owners and market at ease.

Edit: The color red is for the CEOs culled in the line of duty...
Am486DX100
K8 Athlon 64 (Venice) Expert Boarder
K8 Athlon 64 (Venice) Expert Boarder

Postby wuttz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:29 pm

lol omfg! started at 10% on open, 15% mid-day, 18% now near-closing. :shock: :shock: :shock:
jf owes everyone a beer and a cake! :D :D :D
wuttz

Postby BaronMatrix » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:00 am

scorpiDragon wrote:

No they need to get a bigger share of the Pro market. nVidia makes a mint with Quadro.
MSI 790GX X4 940 - @ 3GHz - AC64 HSF - HD 4870 512MB - 8GB DDR2 - 1TB HDD - BluRay - TX650 W - Antec 300 - 2X ACER 23"
HP DV7-3065 - M600 - 17" LCD - BD-Rom - HDMI\eSATA - .5TB HDD - HD4200
BaronMatrix

Postby AussieFX » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:31 am

Smartidiot89 wrote:
Pietro sk wrote:

What's impressive with these numbers are that only low quantities/next to no Llano laptops was sold during the last quarter. Yes it started shipping in April but 1 million total must mean high demand from the OEM's.

The notebook market is more about "shelf-space" and it seems the OEM's are taking Llano seriously judging this.

I was informed that they started shipping mobile in the last week of April so you can basically make that May. Desktop shipments started slowly 2-3 weeks later.
It certainly wasn't March as someone was alluding to.
Sent from my flippy phone thingy using TAPATALK HD_2016.1

Nikon D7000 / Nikon D5000
AussieFX

Postby Kedas » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:32 am

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093 ... highlight=
Maybe we will hear more on august 8.

I would like to hear "we are shipping now" and not "we will be shipping this month".

something else:
If they tell when they started shipping what is the point in not saying when the product will be launched?
[Albert Einstein]
Kedas

Postby Kedas » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Stockholders are advised to read a book next week instead of following the stock market. :?
It will be much better for your blood pressure.
[Albert Einstein]
Kedas

Next

Return to AMD Fusion, Bobcat, Bulldozer