Text Size

Automotive Technology

Any news on Coyote?

GPS, Audio, Displays, and Overclocking - Chip That Computer!
Nothing's any good stock.
Also post your mechanical and restoration projects.

Re: Any news on Coyote?

Postby AussieFX » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:20 am

My first "legal" car was a Valiant, the very last model.

One thing Chrysler do really well is make engines. The Mopar gear is legendary.

Was that you that survived the 2 headshots in Busso? :P
Sent from my flippy phone thingy using TAPATALK HD_2016.1

Nikon D7000 / Nikon D5000
AussieFX
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator

Postby Athlotron » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:02 am

Nah.... I'm not thickheaded enough to survive that. I was doing the shooting though... :P

Whatever happened to my sleepy little town?
What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. - Oscar Wilde
Athlotron
K7 Athlon XP (Palomino) Junior Boarder

Postby AussieFX » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:21 am

Barnett+Johnson took the pot off them. :roll:

AussieFX

Postby Athlotron » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:40 am

AussieFX wrote:Barnett+Johnson took the pot off them. :roll:

Nah.... plenty of drugs around this place. Barnett just makes them want to take more.
What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. - Oscar Wilde
Athlotron

Postby Am486DX100 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Athlotron wrote:

Nah.... plenty of drugs around this place. Barnett just makes them want to take more.

Ok... so a Johnson+Johnson should be ok.......right?

........... :twisted:

Am486DX100
K8 Athlon 64 (Venice) Expert Boarder
K8 Athlon 64 (Venice) Expert Boarder

Postby Athlotron » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:12 am

Do you mean an Anti-psychotic.... or babies talcum powder?
Athlotron

Postby AussieFX » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:20 am

Athlotron wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

AussieFX

Postby AussieFX » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:24 am

:lol: :mrgreen:
Am486DX100 wrote:
Athlotron wrote:

Ok... so a Johnson+Johnson should be ok.......right?

........... :twisted:

2 lunatic politicians who like to put kiddies in jail for two years for smoking a joint.
This place has gone mad!

They better get to building prisons and they might consider a seperate one for all the police as well. :roll:

AussieFX

Postby Athlotron » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:11 am

I hate that Barnett. Why can't they bury him under the proposed foreshore development?
Athlotron

Postby AussieFX » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:17 am

Oh you have to admit he's got a nice smile. :o

Johnson is the one I can't stand, self righteous git. I'd love to see one of his kids caught with a joint. Now Barnett trusts him to rebuild the emergency services?? ROFL.

I'd take Julia any day over those two clowns. I like the insulation in my roof and I'm sure the local primary school likes it's new classrooms too.

AussieFX

Postby MU_Engineer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:55 am

Back to the original topic- I got a Coyote. :D I got a new pickup a few weeks ago and it has the truck version of the Coyote sitting under the hood. It has a few minor changes compared to the Mustang engine- different pistons with a 10.5:1 compression ratio instead of 11.0:1, a slightly different intake cam profile, a 500 rpm lower redline, a conventional "log" exhaust manifold instead of tube headers, and no fancy dress-up intake and engine shroud. It makes 360/375 hp and 380/390 ft-lb of torque on 87 octane/91+ octane or E85. That's a little lower hp than the Mustang but the same torque. Those ratings are also probably conservative (per PickupTrucks.com's dyno and road tests) since Ford really wants to move the 3.5 EcoBoost V6 and that motor makes a maximum of 365 hp and 420 ft-lb of torque. It's has a surprising amount of low-end power for a fairly moderate-capacity twin-cam V8. Unfortunately all that low-end power means the engine rarely crosses 3000 rpm when the truck is unloaded, even if you really punch it so you don't get much of the classic V8 snarl. The transmission just upshifts and the truck quickly reaches freeway speeds. The stock exhaust is very quiet and there is enough sound dampening that it's hard to tell if there is a V6 or a V8 under the hood without looking. Ford probably intended that because they wanted to sell EcoBoost V6es.
Desktop: Opteron 6234, SM H8QGL, 4x4 GB PC3-12800
HTPC: 2x 2 GHz Xeon LV Sossaman, TYAN S5365, 6 GB PC2-3200R
File Server: 2x Xeon X5260, MSi MS-91A1, 12 GB PC2-5300F
Router: Athlon 5150, Biostar AM1ML, 4 GB PC3-12800
MU_Engineer
K8 Athlon 64 (Orleans) Expert Boarder

Postby AussieFX » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:36 am

Damn I just lost a long reply. :evil:

Sounds good MU, you need to remove one of the large mufflers. Ford tend to run two and one will get you that V8 sound back. A larger diameter air inlet pipe should restore that awesome induction sound as well.
Unfortunately we don't get the naturally aspirated version here, we only have the supercharged models designed specifically for the Falcon.

AussieFX

Postby MU_Engineer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:48 pm

What you are talking about is a "resonator delete." The resonator is the little muffler-like apparatus before the muffler that acts as sort of a pre-muffler. Some people do get rid of them (such as this guy) and it does make more of a V8 sound, but I am a bit hesitant to do it on a brand-new truck. Maybe someday, but probably not. First job will be to put in a bedliner, second job will be to swap out the little 235/75R17 stock tires for something more appropriately sized (275/70R17s I believe fit nicely on the stock rims and suspension setup) when the stockers wear out. Maybe I'll lift it someday...maybe. I like how it rides nicely and wouldn't want to "Bubba" it up with a lift/level kit.
Desktop: Opteron 6234, SM H8QGL, 4x4 GB PC3-12800
HTPC: 2x 2 GHz Xeon LV Sossaman, TYAN S5365, 6 GB PC2-3200R
File Server: 2x Xeon X5260, MSi MS-91A1, 12 GB PC2-5300F
Router: Athlon 5150, Biostar AM1ML, 4 GB PC3-12800
MU_Engineer

Postby mdk777 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:15 am

Ford probably intended that because they wanted to sell EcoBoost V6es.

Still waiting on my 2012 EXPLORER to deliver. (Maybe this week)

I factory order because I don't want 90% of the crap that ends up dealer lots.
I drove a fully loaded model for a test drive that was listed at 49K.
I ordered mine for 26K. Somehow I doubt the sunroof, and other crap that will just break is worth the extra 23K, but that's just me. :wink:

I went with FORD because I will never buy a GM (GOVERNMENT MOTORS) or A Chrysler (FIX IT AGAIN TONY) as long as I live. The last FORD I owned was a 1969 FORD CUSTOM 500 with the WINDSOR 351 engine.

I figured it was time to give them another chance. :lol:

Anyway,(after making a short story long); I'm not expecting great performance, I just had to laugh at the ECOBOOST engine option of a 4 cylinder engine in this boat. Every review said it was total crap. No surprise, that is what happens when you let environmentalist and government lobbyist try to dictate what engine should be allowed. Needless to say I passed on the ECOBOOST. :lol:

Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
mdk777
Shiny Badge of Honor Member

Postby AussieFX » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:37 am

LOL they tried importing 4 cylinder Explorers here.

They can't give them away. :lol:

That won't stop them importing front wheel drive Tauruses, they will have to pay us to drive them.

On another note it looks like GM have forced Holden to drop the Commodore. That will mean the end of the Camaro which is a Commodore with different badging.
Are US car manufacturers really that dumb? Lets build cars that no-one wants... :roll:
Don't buy any GM shares would be my recommendation.

AussieFX

Postby brutis » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:42 am

GM = government motors :evil:

I was a mopar guy but the next vehicle I get maybe a FORD pickup. :?

I miss having a pickup :(
brutis

Postby mdk777 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:39 pm

Are US car manufacturers really that dumb? Lets build cars that no-one wants... :roll:
Don't buy any GM shares would be my recommendation.

You haven't seen anything yet. :!:

They are fixing to raise CAFE to 52MPG.

Wait until people see the lawn-mower/smart-car/fiat that they will be able to purchase then for $50,000.

It just never cease to amaze me that people think they can dictate laws of physics by fiat. Why stop at 52mpg? Lets just go for 100mpg? why not 1000 mpg? If all you have to do is pass a law, well heck we might as well go all out. :mrgreen:

Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
mdk777

Postby AussieFX » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:15 am

What is CAFE?
Define 52mpg. My car is more efficient than a Prius at 60mph+.

How do you go with high performance cars and trucks, do they incur an extra tax?

We recently adopted EuroIV (whatever that is) and the I6 Turbo only just scraped by.
Ford actually cancelled the engine for a while as they didn't think it would pass, luckily a few modifications got it through.
The part I don't understand is that the tweaked version in the FPV is nearly 100hp more than the standard turbo (400hp) so how does it pass?

AussieFX

Postby mdk777 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:54 pm

What is CAFE?

Corporate AVERAGE fuel economy.

This means for every 20mpg car you sell, you need to sell a 60mpg car to obtain an AVERAGE fuel economy of 40mpg.

Now setting the 2025 CAFE at 54 or whatever is going to be a very nice trick, since there are so few that can even do 40 MPG on the highway now.

define 52mpg. My car is more efficient than a Prius at 60mph+.

Yeah, that is an average of city and highway. My new 2012 explorer is rated at 20mpg.

18 city and 25 highway.

How do you go with high performance cars and trucks, do they incur an extra tax?

Yeah, that is how the US SUV was born. Cars had to meet CAFE, but trucks and vans did not. Suddenly the idea of driving a modified VAN(mini-van) or Truck(suburban) suddenly had great appeal. At the height of the craze, I think cars as defined by CAFE only made something like 30% of vehicles sold in the US.

Now they are looking to include SUV and light trucks in the new CAFE standard (close the loophole)

So, almost 40 years ago, the government attempted to "FIX" the car market.
Didn't work then. Has never worked in any free market in the history of the world.
But its different now because we mean well. Lets do it again. :!:

Insanity....just drives me crazy. :wink:

OK while I'm ranting....

One more thing....The media is constantly complaining about the rich not paying taxes, and the gulf between the poor/low middle class becoming wider...

Some of this is true. One way to make sure the poor stay poor is to make it impossible for them to work.

The recent Cash for clunkers program took millions of working low cost cars off the market permanently. The average price for a used car went from $5000 to now something well above $10,000. This was a tax on the poor. In the United States, you can't hold a job without having a car. The environmentalist just made the hurdle to getting out of poverty at least twice as high. Now, add $8000 to $20,000 to the price of a new car to meet impossible diminishing return gas efficiency goals. Who do you punish? Not me, I drive a company car. I can't travel and make sales without one. So whatever the cost, it will go into the price of my product and ultimately get passed on to the end consumer. The person who gets hammered? The near poor, or actual poor (not as likely because the actual poor person will be forced to stay on government assistance.)

I just have never understood where people think government largess, regulation and inefficiency get paid by someone else. It always is paid for by the entire economy. It is always passed through to whatever you buy, or wish you could afford to buy.

The "working poor" will always pay 10X for every "free" dollar they get from the government.

If people could just get this through their head...they would run screaming in terror whenever anyone said:

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you.-"

mdk777

Postby AussieFX » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:48 am

They must be on drugs.
What car can get close to 50mpg?

None I can think of.

AussieFX

Postby mdk777 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:14 pm

hey must be on drugs.

None I can think of.

But you don't understand. :!: It doesn't exist not because it is not cost effective,..no nor because the materials(low weight dependable batteries), the technology(batteries that can store enough energy to actually drive 200-300 miles), or even the basic mass energy equations don't match(it will always take a certain amount of energy to overcome wind drag regardless of the shape or size of the vehicle) ....no, not at all.... it doesn't exist because no government was willing to pass a law mandating it. :!: :!:

This is how the liberal progressive mind really works. :!:

I'm not joking.

Don't let reality get in the way of your Disney World belief system. If we just wish for it hard enough...then it will come true....

Anyone who says otherwise is obviously an evil tool of the oppressive corporate structure.(oil, auto, energy,health care, ... ....whatever they wish they could get for free(without any consequences either political or environmental, or even having to pay for with some kind of work for that matter{let's all occupy a tent to protest our unwillingness to face reality})

You are pushing me toward the edge again. I need to stop thinking about this or my head will explode..... :lol:

mdk777

Postby ZXRaziel » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:21 pm

AussieFX wrote:They must be on drugs.

None I can think of.

I am getting 50,4 Mpg on average :D ( car VW scirocco 2.0 tdi 170 @ modified to 210 hp )
I know that i know nothing , and i am smart enough to realize that i am stupid.
ZXRaziel
K6-III Fresh Boarder
K6-III Fresh Boarder

Postby mdk777 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:16 am

Ironic eh?

100 year old technology...diesel engine...who would have thought. :?:

I rail against non-sense so much, preciously because more logical projects are ignored chasing after pie in the sky.

You know what the United States currently lacks? diesel refining capacity. :!:
It is the reason the price of diesel is $4 per gallon while gasoline is $3.36.

What do you need to immediately improve the efficiency of American transportation?
Use more diesel :!: . But this would require new refineries to be built.

Oh wait, no environmentalist has allowed a new refinery to be built in the United States in 25 years :!:

OK, no problem, we can expand some of the existing ones. Heck there is this huge oil reserve in Canada that is waiting to come on the market(high density that would be ideal to make diesel) . Importing from the north instead of the middle East or from some tin pot dictatorship like Venezuela has to be a good idea, right? Heck, nothing is safer than a pipe-line,... you avoid all that shipping risk, deep sea drilling risk, environmental risk loading and unloading ships....

OH snap, our President just told the Canadians that we won't allow their pipe line until we "look again, at the environmental impacts...for say two years...after the next election maybe..."

WHAT? you are kidding right?,.. the environmentalist are forcing us to burn inefficient gasoline?, and are forcing us to import our oil across the ocean instead of allowing a pipeline to bring oil safely from Canada....?

Yup, obviously the answer isn't efficiency,or conservation, or even environmental protection...these Luddites suffer from some sick self-loathing that compels them to want to return to subsistence brutal survival-ism. There are a thousand stories like this...Where rational, practical investments are ignored or intentionally thwarted to allow the focus to return to electric cars, or wind mills or trillion dollar Mag. lev. trains (that would replace million dollar airplanes that work just great thank-you very much)...... Must stop...will only drive self insane....must stop thinking....

mdk777

Postby AussieFX » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:02 am

diesels should be banned. :P
rattly, stinky, slow, smoky.

In all seriouness I thought diesel needing less refining could be made at the same place. I always thought it was cheaper to produce than petrol because of that and market forces (less demand) dictated it's higher price.

Now you're doing my head in. :mrgreen:

AussieFX

Postby mdk777 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:35 am

I always thought it was cheaper to produce than petrol because of that and market forces (less demand) dictated it's higher price.

Yes, it is the major fraction of crude. Gasoline, is a lighter fraction making up a smaller percent.

So, in theory it(diesel) should be cheaper and more plentiful. The only reason it would be more expensive is if you have some artificial impediment to its use.

In the US it is a lack of dedicated infrastructure. (You can modify refineries to make either, but it is not on the fly switching, it does take some time and dedicated equipment.) They are rebuilding a refinery near my home. From permit to final I think it is taking something like 7 years.

One other factor, they did make a recent change to reduce sulfur, which did increase the cost of refining and the cost of diesel in the US recently. (Not a bad thing, reduces acid rain...but is one reason price went up.)

mdk777

PreviousNext

Return to Automotive Technology