Text Size

AMD 7000 Series (Southern Islands)

7000 series

Direct3D 11.1, Shader Model 5.0, OpenGL 4.2, OpenCL 1.2 (AMD HD 7000 series) Graphic Core Next

7000 series

Postby GummiRaccoon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:02 pm

So I've been reading reviews left and right. It's a smaller die than the 6970, uses about the same power and stomps all over the 580.
GummiRaccoon
K6 Fresh Boarder
K6 Fresh Boarder

Re: 7000 series

Postby AussieFX » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:38 am

Check out Hilberts cpu scaling test.

Overclocks intel cpu's but not AMD.
Runs intel cpu's at their rated memory frequency yet downclocks AMD ram SIGNIFICANTLY!
In a nutshell he overclocks intel systems and downclocks AMD.

My god when are we going to see somebody who can run a review properly?
Is there no-one on this earth capable of configuring systems as they are designed?

I give up...

I thought this article might be a good read. Once again fscked up by incompetents.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd ... e-review/9
Sent from my flippy phone thingy using TAPATALK HD_2016.1

Nikon D7000 / Nikon D5000
AussieFX
K8 Opteron (SledgeHammer) Moderator

Postby ZXRaziel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:57 pm

If you read between the lines in his reviews you wil see that he sometimes gives a little hints about the truth ( because he knows the truth ) but he has to bend the truth ( using hand picked benchmarks ) and wrap it in nice package to keep the "sponsors" happy .
To be fair he is not totaly biased , actualy one of the " better reviewers " , but you need to understand that these people are making living doing what they do and they are told what to do to get their pay :idea:
I know that i know nothing , and i am smart enough to realize that i am stupid.
ZXRaziel
K6-III Fresh Boarder
K6-III Fresh Boarder

Postby AussieFX » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:24 am

I agree he usually is one of the better ones so probably why I'm so disappointed in the article.

AussieFX

Postby abinstein » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:12 am

ZXRaziel wrote:To be fair he is not totaly biased , actualy one of the " better reviewers " , but you need to understand that these people are making living doing what they do and they are told what to do to get their pay :idea:

That means they have no integrity. They sell it out "for a living." When does that mean "better"? I feel deeply saddened by the lost of morality in the high-tech review business.
abinstein

Postby Pietro sk » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:10 pm

AussieFX wrote:Check out Hilberts cpu scaling test.

Overclocks intel cpu's but not AMD.
Runs intel cpu's at their rated memory frequency yet downclocks AMD ram SIGNIFICANTLY!
In a nutshell he overclocks intel systems and downclocks AMD.

My god when are we going to see somebody who can run a review properly?
Is there no-one on this earth capable of configuring systems as they are designed?

I give up...

I thought this article might be a good read. Once again fscked up by incompetents.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd ... e-review/9

Well, if you are press-titute you must serve your master (aaah, do i smell paychecks..?) :lol:
Bend over and take it .. i love those jour-analysts :lol:

Ontopic - 7xxx looks good, ATI is tech leader again.
The famous intel lawsuit Image Moron is playing VIDEO-game
Not biased Cinebench ? Think again ... They say it´s "finetuned" for intel CPU´s .. Image
Pietro sk
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Windsor) Elite Boarder

Postby AussieFX » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:40 am

Pietro sk wrote:
Ontopic - 7xxx looks good, ATI is tech leader again.

And charging in proportion, high prices for the top dog.

I'm glad they are now pricing correctly, they used low prices to gain marketshare, now that's done they are charging what they should.

Why people are up in arms about this I have no idea, I've even seen people who own SB-E complain about pricing believe it or not. :lol:

I'm also laughing at peoples memories. I've seen some really stupid claims like 5870 was 2x as fast as 4890. It doesn't even come close, in fact it isn't even 50% faster in most gaming scenarios.

This thing is getting bad press from forum posters. I wonder where these people are pulling their numbers from...surely not their backsides. :roll:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1080/5/

AussieFX

Prediction: 7770 will match (maybe even beat) the 6850

Postby QUINTIX » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:32 am

If the rumours prove to be true:
  • Both the 6870 and the 7770 have 14 Compute Units
    For all intents and purposes, one WLIW4 CU is roughly equal to one VLIW5 CU.
  • Both the 7770 and the 6870 56 texture samplers (traditional 4 per CU)
  • Both the 7770 and the 6870 run at 900mhz
  • Though the 7770 has a 128bit bus, the bus runs 325MHz faster than the 6870
  • At <=1080p, I'm sure shaders/tex units are much more important than ROPS

Now for some pure speculation:
  • Trinity's GPU will essentially be this with a 128bit DDR3 bus.
  • The 7670 will not be an oem only rebrand

One of AMD's big selling points for their fusion platform has been hybrid crossfire. Crossfire has been much more flexible than nvidia's sli, and I'd like it to be a lot more flexible, but I would be surprised if they could match a 14 CU chip (7770) with an 8 CU chip (trinity). I doubt AMD will make an APU with more than 8 compute units. The A8 is already a billion-transistor chip. I seriously doubt that AMD will have hybrid crossfire between VLIW4 (trinity) and VLIW5 (theoretical rebrand); that would require the driver to issue very different commands to two very different chips.
QUINTIX

Postby badmonopoly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:56 am

Guess who just ordered a gigabyte 7950 :P

Looks like I'll be shooting straight for 1200 core (may take a slight bump on V) and 1600 mem seems normal.

I'm hoping I can do 1300 stable with a normal V bump. I should have the card fri.
badmonopoly
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby Pietro sk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:30 pm

badmonopoly wrote:Guess who just ordered a gigabyte 7950 :P

Looks like I'll be shooting straight for 1200 core (may take a slight bump on V) and 1600 mem seems normal.

I'm hoping I can do 1300 stable with a normal V bump. I should have the card fri.

79xx without watercooling is like hotdog without mustard, remember :wink:
Not biased Cinebench ? Think again ... They say it´s "finetuned" for intel CPU´s .. Image
Pietro sk

Postby badmonopoly » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:57 am

Pietro sk wrote:
badmonopoly wrote:Guess who just ordered a gigabyte 7950 :P

79xx without watercooling is like hotdog without mustard, remember :wink:

Ha! There's enough cooling for good clocks on air (nonreference).

I just can't justify the cost and time consumption associated with water. If I do GPU, then I have to do CPU, too. And without making a big custom loop, my CPU air cooler is on par with the kits you can buy .. Pretty sad.
badmonopoly
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby Pietro sk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:12 pm

With increasing resolutions, intel platforms lose faster FPS
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/ ... ing/3.html
or maybe move it to cpu posts
Pietro sk

Postby badmonopoly » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:49 am

Edit: Screw Nvidia. C***Suckers. This is exactly why I didn't buy their lame shit before and won't again. Even with the physx mod patch and the correct driver/physx app, it doesn't work. It causes the games to all crash. F them in the A. I hope they all get cancer. Intel, too.

Why does the universe hate me?
I install the card and now every game crashes to desktop. Batman claims missing files that are not missing (xlive) among other ridiculous things. Tribes Ascend just crashes with no error. :(

Excluding Nvidia's arrogance and stupidity, the 7950 is a home run. It runs so much better than xfire 6900s. And they must have done magic with the driver. Games are actually using the card effectively (unlike 6900s even single card). I blame half the games for that BS. Nvidia paid them to break the games.

More edit: Uninstalling physx solved everything. Even without nvidia vid driver installed or the patch being run, physx crashes games - games that don't use physx. Unbelievable.
badmonopoly
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby Pietro sk » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:13 pm

badmonopoly wrote:........
F them in the A. I hope they all get cancer. Intel, too.
nvdia and intel invest big resources not to bring new technology, but instead investing resources to screw up competition.

That does mean, customer buying their products agrees with worldwide market deformation and "bentmark supremacy"..
Dicksuckers, shills and liars. This is it.

Just imagine if intel did not screw AMD in early 2000´s , we could have today two strong x86 companies, customers could benefit from it. :!:
Pietro sk

Postby badmonopoly » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:41 pm

Pietro sk wrote:
nvdia and intel invest big resources not to bring new technology, but instead investing resources to screw up competition.

Nvidia justifies themselves not allowing physx b/c someone makes a workaround... :roll:

Wow, what a way to support your shitty endeavor. That will SURELY gain customers and adoption of physx. Say, how many games use physx each year, nvidia? 2? That you completely subsidized. :lol:

Looks like my friends will be getting AMD cards, regardless, of this vaporware new GTX.

I spent 3 hrs last night trying to get it to work and just got pissed and hated nvidia more. Forget it, it's not worth the trouble unless it actually makes a difference in a game (which it doesn't). I had this working fine before with multiple other cards, too. Why it won't work, now? Idk. They do PURPOSEFULLY break it in new drivers and physx apps, but I was using the older ones that are said to work, so idk. Perhaps for some unknown reason it hates the 7900. I could care less at this point. Problem = nvidia - Solution = not using their crap.
badmonopoly
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby Pietro sk » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:08 pm

How they both are desperate to do stupid things like that ?
Pietro sk

Postby AussieFX » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:35 am

badmonopoly wrote:
Pietro sk wrote:

Nvidia justifies themselves not allowing physx b/c someone makes a workaround... :roll:

Wow, what a way to support your shitty endeavor. That will SURELY gain customers and adoption of physx. Say, how many games use physx each year, nvidia? 2? That you completely subsidized. :lol:

Looks like my friends will be getting AMD cards, regardless, of this vaporware new GTX.

I spent 3 hrs last night trying to get it to work and just got pissed and hated nvidia more. Forget it, it's not worth the trouble unless it actually makes a difference in a game (which it doesn't). I had this working fine before with multiple other cards, too. Why it won't work, now? Idk. They do PURPOSEFULLY break it in new drivers and physx apps, but I was using the older ones that are said to work, so idk. Perhaps for some unknown reason it hates the 7900. I could care less at this point. Problem = nvidia - Solution = not using their crap.

WOW!!!

So this has happened when using a Nvidia card for physx and the AMD card as primary?

Fsck Nvidia then, breaking games purposefully is beyond a joke, most gamers are students so a game is a big investment to them. Expect this to bite them on the arse. :lol: :lol:

How are you going clocking the '50?

AussieFX

Postby badmonopoly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:02 am

AussieFX wrote:So this has happened when using a Nvidia card for physx and the AMD card as primary?

Fsck Nvidia then, breaking games purposefully is beyond a joke, most gamers are students so a game is a big investment to them. Expect this to bite them on the arse. :lol: :lol:

How are you going clocking the '50?

In this exact situation I don't think they are as I was using the older nvidia drivers and physx app, but it was still crashing the games. I have had this working fine before, but it has been a while. The workaround hasn't been made for the new drivers/app (I'm assuming it must be more of a pain in the a**).
I may be wrong, but when new drivers and physx apps come out that have changes so that the physx mod patch doesn't work, it seems pretty fishy that there's no ulterior motive, since we know that nvidia hates for us to use an AMD card.

I'm using MSI Afterburner. I'm currently at 1,175 core, but I haven't had a lot of time to get down to business. Between actually trying to game and repairing multiple PCs, I don't have a lot of time to test.

I have the gigabye card with 3 fans :lol: I'm not sure what V is safe to run at for constant use, but I'll be able to hit it no problem b/c she stays cool.
badmonopoly
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby AussieFX » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Yeah temps are always the limiting factor.

Just checked my 6970 and it's currently at 1.17 I crank it to 1.2v for 950Mhz.
It's summer here so generally 40°+ ambients.

Anyone blaming AMD drivers yet? That's usually what happens. :roll:
BTW you think Physx is a PITA now, wait for Kepler and the current rumours surrounding that regarding Physx.
Be prepared for vendor ID strings and complete lockouts.

AussieFX

Postby badmonopoly » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:33 pm

I'm at 1225 now and 1600 8)

These benches of the 680 look like BS. The 3DMark 11 score is off. A 7970 doesn't score that low. And then except for MW3 the games run favorably on nvidia. I wouldn't rule out some driver cheating since they have a lot riding on this - not claiming it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Regardless, I don't trust anything. Just like before, there's no actual concrete info and not even any info that these cards exist in production yet LOL.

And to top it off, you know nvidia is going to charge 600 (who knows, maybe a little more) for it, lulz.

Time for AMD and partners to start pumping out 1300 mhz cards and lay a can of whoop a** down.
badmonopoly
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby ZXRaziel » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Dont trust Nvidia , they are hiding the truth , only the cheaper midrange - mainstream chips are produced in decent numbers , the high end stuff is no go , to many isues but they are working hard on it , lets hope they get some good high end GPU's out soon , because i am not buying the crap what is comming out this month .
I know that i know nothing , and i am smart enough to realize that i am stupid.
ZXRaziel
K6-III Fresh Boarder
K6-III Fresh Boarder

Postby DamnYank » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:55 pm

badmonopoly wrote:I'm at 1225 now and 1600 8)

These benches of the 680 look like BS. The 3DMark 11 score is off. A 7970 doesn't score that low. And then except for MW3 the games run favorably on nvidia. I wouldn't rule out some driver cheating since they have a lot riding on this - not claiming it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Regardless, I don't trust anything. Just like before, there's no actual concrete info and not even any info that these cards exist in production yet LOL.

And to top it off, you know nvidia is going to charge 600 (who knows, maybe a little more) for it, lulz.

Time for AMD and partners to start pumping out 1300 mhz cards and lay a can of whoop a** down.

You are correct. Those benches are 'tweaked' to favor the Nvidia card - wait for real user benchmark shootouts to see how they really stack up against the 7000 series. The 'professional' hardware review sites are almost always compromised by advertising dollars. Trust user benchmarks over shill 'reviewers'.
DamnYank
K5 Fresh Boarder
K5 Fresh Boarder

Postby wuttz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:21 pm

say goodbye to 7-series radeon price cuts.

:cry: :cry: :mrgreen:
wuttz
K8 Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester) Elite Boarder

Postby MKruer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:37 am

Old article, but probably accurate
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/02/01/phys ... k104-fast/
In a nut shell if the game was optimized by Nvida then its going to do very well, the problem is that the majority of games are not optimized, but the one that are, are all the big name title.
Lian-Li PC-V2000 Plus Aluminum Case; Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550 PSU; Asus M4A785TD-V EVO; Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 @ 4.0Ghz ; Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C; 8GB OCZ AMD Black Edition @ 1333Mhz; Sapphire Radeon HD 7870
MKruer
K10 Opteron (Barcelona) Administrator
K10 Opteron (Barcelona) Administrator

Location: I am not paid to do this, I don't even like to do this, I wonder why am I still doing this?

Postby wuttz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:14 pm

slower than 7870? :shock: :shock: :shock:

>source

Nvidia's GTX680 gets thrashed by AMD's mid-range Radeon HD 7870 in GPU compute

Exclusive And the Radeon HD 7970 is an order of magnitude faster
By Nebojsa Novakovic
Tue Mar 20 2012, 16:57
WE'VE HEARD REPORTS about how the upcoming Nvidia GTX680, the very first Kepler 'GK104' GPU will beat all and sundry in everything, including AMD's top of the range Radeon HD 7970, despite the latter's new GCN architecture and 50 per cent wider memory buses and memory capacity.
After all, look at the impressive block diagram. With all the brand new compute-oriented shaders and such, it does leave one impressed:
Source: The Inquirer (http://s.tt/17LZI)
wuttz

Next

Return to AMD 7000 Series (Southern Islands)